Pipe #4: Tiger Fish

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

I finally finished up #4 and here it is. Honestly, I'm not elated by all the details here. There's some stuff I just got stuck on when it came to the stem. There are also some tool marks on the stem still. ARGH! Also, the profile of this pipe is my least favorite angle for it. I'd say every angle except for a direct profile is rather pretty. I'll take some more photos and update this post when I do.

One thing I do have to say: as I'm learning to use my new lathe, it is expediting the process ten fold. I look forward to the day that I actually know what I'm doing! :P

Despite the imperfections, I learned a huge amount and am glad to have made this pipe! Even if this blowfish failed, I'm glad I went for it. :)

Well, with all that said, here is the first round of photos. Any and all criticism welcome and encouraged!

Dimensions:
L: 4.5"
W: 1 1/4"
Diam: 18mm
Depth: 20mm

Stem:
3.8mm at the bit, tapering from 5.62mm

Note: Photos updated twice
ImageImage
Last edited by d.huber on Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
wdteipen

Re: Pipe #4: Tiger Fish

Post by wdteipen »

Not bad at all, David. The main suggestion I'd give is to put a bit of a bend in the stem. I can't think of too many bent pipes that don't need some degree of bend in the stem.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Cory

Post by Cory »

I think it would look better if you had maintained more crisp lines. The shape kind of melts together because of the rounded edges. I also think it needs a slight bend. Lastly, I think I might like it better if the stem was 1/4" shorter.
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

How exciting! Your first pipe on a lathe!

I agree about bending the stem. I like the general shape, you just need to work on refining the details. Great pipe, David.

Now the big question: Do you sell it, give it away, or keep it? Not to pry. Just curious.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

wdteipen wrote:Not bad at all, David. The main suggestion I'd give is to put a bit of a bend in the stem. I can't think of too many bent pipes that don't need some degree of bend in the stem.
Thanks, Wayne! I'm relatively happy with the pipe, but I do feel like I'm capable of better.
Cory wrote:I think it would look better if you had maintained more crisp lines. The shape kind of melts together because of the rounded edges. I also think it needs a slight bend. Lastly, I think I might like it better if the stem was 1/4" shorter.
Thanks for your thoughts, Cory! Could you be more specific about the lines that are melting together? Hmm... I might see what you mean in the pictures in profile...
Ocelot55 wrote:How exciting! Your first pipe on a lathe!

I agree about bending the stem. I like the general shape, you just need to work on refining the details. Great pipe, David.
I know, right? I'm loving the lathe and am having a great time learning on it.

Sounds like consensus is "bend the stem." :lol: I'd been toying with the idea but have resisted. A pipemaker at the Chicago Show saw this in its infant stages and said that sometimes, you just need to let the energy go straight out. I'll go back and give it a bend and see how it looks. :)
Ocelot55 wrote:Now the big question: Do you sell it, give it away, or keep it? Not to pry. Just curious.
Haven't done anything with it yet! It's still sitting on my desk. :)

Last edited by d.huber on Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

-Tyler Beard
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

BTW, any opinions about the mirror and glove? Too much?

-Tyler Beard
Growley

Post by Growley »

I think it's a great looking pipe! Nice job. Way better than my 4th I'm sure. Keep up the great work.

Brian.
Alden

Post by Alden »

My first thought is bend that stem !
Cool looking pipe man, I dont have any other critique to offer.
HumblePipe

Post by HumblePipe »

I also agree that the stem would look great with a bend in it.
OregonCustom

Post by OregonCustom »

The mirror, due to the reflective coating being on the bottom of the glass, gives a double reflection due to the glass also reflecting the image. If you use only glass you will get a single crisp reflection but somewhat muted. I always stayed away from mirrors when I use to do product photography years ago. My 2 cents...
Not sure I want my hobby to turn into my job largely because I grow to hate my job....
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

OregonCustom wrote:The mirror, due to the reflective coating being on the bottom of the glass, gives a double reflection due to the glass also reflecting the image. If you use only glass you will get a single crisp reflection but somewhat muted. I always stayed away from mirrors when I use to do product photography years ago. My 2 cents...
Ah hah! I was wondering why it looked shaky in the reflection. Very helpful, thank you.

BTW, I bent the stem and updated the photos! What do you guys think?

-Tyler Beard
Alden

Post by Alden »

UberHuberMan wrote: What do you guys think?
Its Mo Better.
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

David

Nice 4th pipe.. as some have already mentioned..much better than my 4th also... bending the stem transformed the flow a lot

congrats

james
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Thanks, guys!
jogilli wrote:... bending the stem transformed the flow a lot
I agree. Thanks for the help, everyone!

-Tyler Beard
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Ocelot55 wrote:Now the big question: Do you sell it, give it away, or keep it? Not to pry. Just curious.
To answer your question more directly, it's sold. I didn't want to count my chickens 'cause this is going to a guy who asked me to make him one after he saw my first in March and he could very easily have changed his mind. However, I received an e-mail from him this morning saying that the check was in the mail. :)

I'm selling it at cost since I'm still in the infant stages of learning and that is apparent in this pipe. It's thrilling, however, to know that someone will get to enjoy it and I'll get to recoup the cost of materials. What fun!

-Tyler Beard
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

Congratulations on your sale as well! I hope you included the cost of the Chicago seminar in your materials list. Plus a small lathe acquisition surcharge, your PMF dues and a set-aside for the Old Pipemakers' Home.

Now put that check to work and show us some more pipes!
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Creativity is the residue of time wasted."

Albert Einstein, famous pipe smoker