10-11 'Esquire'

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Nate

Re: 10-11 'Esquire'

Post by Nate »

LAH wrote:Excellent everything.

Abe
Thanks Abe!! :D
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

I'm lovin it!

Very nicely done imo.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Sasquatch wrote: If you look at the stem right where it bends, in the 1st, 3rd, and 6th pix, it looks just a little fat and lumpy on the off-angle shots (directly from above or the side it's fine, but from 45 degrees it could use refining). Just a tiny bit of file work and you could harden up the lines a little to great improvement of the overall shape.

But this IS a terrific pipe and I think most of us would be well pleased to have made such a critter. I really like the coloring, and the finish on the bamboo looks beautiful. It's a wonderful pipe.
I agree with Sas on both counts - it's a great pipe. The bowl shape is cool, the blast is good, stain and finish are good; the stem just needs some tweaking. Personally, I would call this one done though. Just keep those things in mind for next time.

One thing I would add: the plateau has a really cool line to it that I think you could/should echo in the stem. It might just be the perspective of the shots you took, but in pic 7 you can see that cool convex sweep of the top of the bowl, and it would look really cool if the stem itself had some of that same flow in it. Not a major deal, but I think it would tie things together more.

Also, I'm not sure what it is, but something about the bamboo doesn't quite agree with me. Maybe just that fat first knuckle, but it's drawing my eye more than I'd like.

All in all, I think it's a nice pipe. Good work!
Nate

Post by Nate »

e Markle wrote:
Sasquatch wrote: If you look at the stem right where it bends, in the 1st, 3rd, and 6th pix, it looks just a little fat and lumpy on the off-angle shots (directly from above or the side it's fine, but from 45 degrees it could use refining). Just a tiny bit of file work and you could harden up the lines a little to great improvement of the overall shape.

But this IS a terrific pipe and I think most of us would be well pleased to have made such a critter. I really like the coloring, and the finish on the bamboo looks beautiful. It's a wonderful pipe.
I agree with Sas on both counts - it's a great pipe. The bowl shape is cool, the blast is good, stain and finish are good; the stem just needs some tweaking. Personally, I would call this one done though. Just keep those things in mind for next time.

One thing I would add: the plateau has a really cool line to it that I think you could/should echo in the stem. It might just be the perspective of the shots you took, but in pic 7 you can see that cool convex sweep of the top of the bowl, and it would look really cool if the stem itself had some of that same flow in it. Not a major deal, but I think it would tie things together more.

Also, I'm not sure what it is, but something about the bamboo doesn't quite agree with me. Maybe just that fat first knuckle, but it's drawing my eye more than I'd like.

All in all, I think it's a nice pipe. Good work!
Thanks Ernie, I really appreciate the thoughts! The way I filed the stem caused it to have a 'dip' after bending. I filed it away to the back of my mind and will remember it for future bent stems. If I understand you correctly, it is exactly what I thought when I looked and said 'dammit'! The lines would have been much nicer with a constant curve rather than the 'lumpiness' I achieved.

I pinched the other bamboo knuckle before I sent it to its owner, so it old swell and they would look the same. Sorry, but I failed to get a picture of it for you. :D

Hope this helps.
bornagainbriar

Post by bornagainbriar »

Love it. My favorite feature is the indentation on the top of the shank to stem fit. Very well done.
"A pipe is a good thing for all men. For wise men, it gives them time to think and ponder. For a fool, it gives him something to shove in his mouth." - Unknown...
Nate

Post by Nate »

bornagainbriar wrote:Love it. My favorite feature is the indentation on the top of the shank to stem fit. Very well done.
Thanks BornAgain! Glad you like it!
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

Nate,

I love the pipe!

You do make very nice pipes indeed! :thumbsup: