10-11 'Esquire'

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Nate

10-11 'Esquire'

Post by Nate »

Here is my latest. Applied everything I learned from the pros at Chicago, hopefully it is evident. This is my first pipe stamped with my logo stamp. As always, make me a better pipe maker, critique away!

grainisgood

Re: 10-11 'Esquire'

Post by grainisgood »

Nate,
This pipe has a tactile factor of "11". It is inspiring, wonderful. A good overall description: BADASS! WOW! Great photography.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Love the shape.
JMG

Post by JMG »

The coloring on this one is great, Nate. Very nice job.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Well stone me, who knew a hick like you could produce a pipe like that! If you need somewhere to send it for proper evaluation I'll give you my address ;)
Taspiper

Post by Taspiper »

I love the unusual shape. To me it's reminiscent of deer hunting and alpine walks or blackforresty. Colour is nice as is the blast. The only thing for me is the upward bend in the bamboo, I probably would of had this 180 around but then for an unusual shape who's to say whats right.
Stamp is cool too.
Cheers Rolf.

"I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs." -Albert Einstein

http://www.acmeengineering.com.au
http://www.rolfhey.com
Rolfhey@acmeengineering.com.au
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

What a gorgeous blast. Beautiful.
Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com
Nate

Post by Nate »

grainisgood wrote:Nate,
This pipe has a tactile factor of "11". It is inspiring, wonderful. A good overall description: BADASS! WOW! Great photography.
:D Thanks! My photography is....well...getting better. Glad you like the pipe!
Nate

Post by Nate »

baweaverpipes wrote:Love the shape.
Thanks Bruce! I got a lot of great suggestions on how to improve my work at the Chicago show. Although one of the guys keeps calling me a hick, not sure how to take that. :D
Nate

Post by Nate »

JMG wrote:The coloring on this one is great, Nate. Very nice job.
Thanks John, it was a 5 step, 4 color process. I think it turned out nice too.
Nate

Post by Nate »

caskwith wrote:Well stone me, who knew a hick like you could produce a pipe like that! If you need somewhere to send it for proper evaluation I'll give you my address ;)
What can I say, some hicks are just plain good. :D Thanks Chris, I appreciate your help at the show and your 'kindness' here :lol:
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

I'll echo the others Nate; great shape and a nice blast.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Taspiper wrote:I love the unusual shape. To me it's reminiscent of deer hunting and alpine walks or blackforresty. Colour is nice as is the blast. The only thing for me is the upward bend in the bamboo, I probably would of had this 180 around but then for an unusual shape who's to say whats right.
Stamp is cool too.
Thanks Rolf! I may have to try a bamboo shank as you suggested, may give this style a whole new look.
Nate

Post by Nate »

bandkbrooks wrote:What a gorgeous blast. Beautiful.
Thank you very much Brandon!
Nate

Post by Nate »

BeatusLiebowitz wrote:I'll echo the others Nate; great shape and a nice blast.
Thanks Beatus! I am pretty pleased with it...now on to the next! :D
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

What a bunch of pathetic ass kissing. People must just feel sorry for a guy who struggles as hard as you do Nate. It's a little like watching a 3 legged dog trying to swim.

I think in the name of "high grade perfection" there are a few very minor tweaks a guy could look at. One of them is still tweakable, the other I wouldn't bother with.

If you look at the stem right where it bends, in the 1st, 3rd, and 6th pix, it looks just a little fat and lumpy on the off-angle shots (directly from above or the side it's fine, but from 45 degrees it could use refining). Just a tiny bit of file work and you could harden up the lines a little to great improvement of the overall shape.

The 8th picture shows a little variance in the bowl continuity, top to bottom, around the shank - a slightly tighter transition there so the bowl really flows from all directions.

But this IS a terrific pipe and I think most of us would be well pleased to have made such a critter. I really like the coloring, and the finish on the bamboo looks beautiful. It's a wonderful pipe.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Nate

Post by Nate »

Sasquatch wrote:What a bunch of pathetic ass kissing. People must just feel sorry for a guy who struggles as hard as you do Nate. It's a little like watching a 3 legged dog trying to swim.

I think in the name of "high grade perfection" there are a few very minor tweaks a guy could look at. One of them is still tweakable, the other I wouldn't bother with.

If you look at the stem right where it bends, in the 1st, 3rd, and 6th pix, it looks just a little fat and lumpy on the off-angle shots (directly from above or the side it's fine, but from 45 degrees it could use refining). Just a tiny bit of file work and you could harden up the lines a little to great improvement of the overall shape.

The 8th picture shows a little variance in the bowl continuity, top to bottom, around the shank - a slightly tighter transition there so the bowl really flows from all directions.

But this IS a terrific pipe and I think most of us would be well pleased to have made such a critter. I really like the coloring, and the finish on the bamboo looks beautiful. It's a wonderful pipe.
Thanks Sas! I agree on both counts. After I bent the stem it became obvious I should have left more material in certain areas and shaped a little more after bending. Learned and will apply to my next bent stem. I hadn't noticed the incongruity of the stummel there until you mentioned it, I'll keep an eye on that in the future. It could have definitely used a bit more refinement on the shape, especially at the base.
DaGamba

Post by DaGamba »

I can only echo the others. I would be smiling with pride and joy if I made a pipe like this.
The only thing that "bothers" me is the stamping. I think your personalized stamp looks cool but the numbers under it makes the stamping look a bit, don't know, inelegant maybe? On the other hand I have no clue what I'm talking about when it comes to stamps since I don't even own one....

Great job sir!
Nate

Post by Nate »

DaGamba wrote:I can only echo the others. I would be smiling with pride and joy if I made a pipe like this.
The only thing that "bothers" me is the stamping. I think your personalized stamp looks cool but the numbers under it makes the stamping look a bit, don't know, inelegant maybe? On the other hand I have no clue what I'm talking about when it comes to stamps since I don't even own one....

Great job sir!
I know, what a bummer when you finally get nice stamp! I need to invest in a good set of sharp number stamps. Thanks for the compliments and input Pär!
LAH

Post by LAH »

Excellent everything.

Abe