Tokutomi-Bo Nordh-Dublin Canadians Detail - Stem-Shank Faces

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
DaGamba

Re: Tokutomi-Bo Nordh-Dublin Canadians Detail - Stem-Shank Faces

Post by DaGamba »

JMG wrote:My neighbor, Dave, has eight rabbits.
:lol:
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

I don't know, but it seems to me that a legitimate thread was started and has now turned to crap!
I believe MM was simply making a point.
True, the faces of the stems might have been blemished with taking them on and off, but the premise of having a smooth face is sound.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

baweaverpipes wrote:I don't know, but it seems to me that a legitimate thread was started and has now turned to crap!
True, the faces of the stems might have been blemished with taking them on and off, but the premise of having a smooth face is sound.
I second the motion. Let's take it to a vote: all in favor of smooth stem faces?
JMG wrote:My neighbor, Dave, has eight rabbits.
Given the context, I enjoyed that.

...and someone get Simeon a tissue.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

e Markle wrote:
I second the motion. Let's take it to a vote: all in favor of smooth stem faces?
Mr. Speaker!

I don't think I've ever seen a pipe with a smooth stem face. I've seen them where they're definitely smooth enough though.

Nay.

Rad
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

And Bruce, those are tool marks in those pics.

Rad
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Mine are smooth because I use a wood lathe.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

baweaverpipes wrote:I don't know, but it seems to me that a legitimate thread was started and has now turned to crap!
Nicely put. That's exactly what I was trying to do.
The point is about the stem-shank faces...the fit and the finish.
What I have been doing is trading off a perfectly smooth mirror finish which is only visible when the pipe is disassembled in order to achieve a perfect fit with no light cracks when the pipe is assembled.
But I have had doubts about this practice, and whether or not it would be acceptable.
The example pipe photos appeared to me to illustrate that both, Tokatomi and Bo Nordh were operating on the same theory.
I wanted to get opinions and ideas related to this, and thanks to Bruce, JHowell, Rad, and others for your input.
Any other ideas would be welcome, and good reference, I think.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Mike Messer wrote: What I have been doing is trading off a perfectly smooth mirror finish which is only visible when the pipe is disassembled in order to achieve a perfect fit with no light cracks when the pipe is assembled.

I'm not sure the two are mutually exclusive.
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

e Markle wrote:
Mike Messer wrote: What I have been doing is trading off a perfectly smooth mirror finish which is only visible when the pipe is disassembled in order to achieve a perfect fit with no light cracks when the pipe is assembled.

I'm not sure the two are mutually exclusive.
I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying you know how to make the faces mirror smooth, and at the same time keep them perfectly flat and perpendicular with no light cracks when assembled?
.001 in. (.025 mm) is a very noticeable light crack when the pipe is at the correct viewing angle with a bright background, and to me it looks proportionately shabby.
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

I haven't tried sanding the shank/stem face after cutting, but I'd think it would be very difficult to get the same precise fit... Facing the two on the lathe guarantees a good fit, seems to me that sandpaper isn't as precise as a metal cutting tool. As a buyer I don't think I would ever consider a surface such as the one shown in the pictures as a fault of any kind. As a novice pipemaker I will have to try to see if it can be done (or rather if I can do it) :)
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

The thing of it is, is if taking the stem off and putting it on makes the stem face look like it has tool marks, why try to get it glass smooth in the first place? What's the point?

I'm with Jack. Get it as nice as you can and don't worry about it.

Rad
Sorringowl

Post by Sorringowl »

RadDavis wrote:The thing of it is, is if taking the stem off and putting it on makes the stem face look like it has tool marks, why try to get it glass smooth in the first place? What's the point?

I'm with Jack. Get it as nice as you can and don't worry about it.

Rad

Yeah, I agree. As a buyer, I don't really care if the tenon/shank faces are smooth or not, just so long as there's not a gaping crack at the stem/stummel so that the sun is shining through and blinding me. And just so long as the damn thing does what it's supposed to do: smoke well.

That said, MM, I think EM is onto something, though. I don't think the two have to be mutually exclusive.

CA, I got your pun right away, or, straight away, as you Brits are fond of saying, and I love all things British humor. Good one, Mate! (See that, I used a typically Australian term of endearment to, uh...whatever, you're British, you get it!--just explaining for all the pasty Yanks!)

BA...weaver (no way to shorten that). I think this thread started out legitimately (as you so astutely pointed out) but at some point it was bordering on, say, Trekkies debating over whether "beaming up" was possible or not. And I say that not to criticize you but, as so often is done in this forum (and probably other forums and just the world, in general) to criticize MM. Sorry, MM, I want to root for you, I really do (I like how you always challenge the big'uns) but you're alone on this one, man (except for BA...weaver...who's in your corner...I think...?)

Rad...(I just like saying "Rad"...it's rad!) Seriously, coolest pipe maker name ever (Sasquatch is a close second--and oh yeah, nice pipes) :D .
“When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself”
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Sorringowl's leather pipe accessories shop: http://www.sorringowlandsons.etsy.com