Pipe #11 - Elephant's Foot ~ Updated pics

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
fiddlestix

Pipe #11 - Elephant's Foot ~ Updated pics

Post by fiddlestix »

This is my most recent pipe. I think it is my best execution to date, but I know there are a lot of things that can be improved upon. I have a couple of pics missing that I thought I had on my phone, but don't. I'll try to add them tonight. (Top view, stem/shank face, and my front view was taken at a bit of an angle which is making the symmetry look off).

Any critique would be greatly appreciated.

-Mark

Last edited by fiddlestix on Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seamonster

Re: Pipe #11 - Elephant's Foot

Post by seamonster »

finish and grain orientation look spot on to me, superb!
proportions look good, though in my eye, maybe the bowl needs to be a touch smaller, or the shank/bamboo a touch fatter?
In the stem photo, is there a sharp crease behind the button, or a scratch, or a light trick?

Overall: damn!

cheers,
Jeremy.
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
fiddlestix

Post by fiddlestix »

Yep. The front of the buttons are giving me fits. I think your right on the proportions as well. Thanks for the input!
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Great work, Mark. I really need to get on your list before your prices skyrocket.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Your adjustments improved the pipe dramatically, but the bowl still feels like it's leaning too far back, like it's being pulled towards the shank with a taught string. If you try this shape again, cant the bowl forward to let the pipe relax.

To run with the string idea: on every pipe you make, imagine a string between the back of the rim (facing the smoker) and the button. Your goal should be to find a balancing point in the angles so that this string hangs with little tension. Maybe that makes no sense, but it helps me to visualize the relationship between bowl and shank. Let them balance each other instead of pull at each other.

Only other thing I see is these:

Scratches on a smooth are unacceptable and you should hold yourself to a higher standard than that. You are too good already to let shit like this slide.

I look forward to seeing more pictures. I wanna see your slot, your tenon, and your mortise.

Great work, Mark.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
fiddlestix

Post by fiddlestix »

Thanks, Jeramiah!
fiddlestix

Post by fiddlestix »

d.huber wrote:Your adjustments improved the pipe dramatically, but the bowl still feels like it's leaning too far back, like it's being pulled towards the shank with a taught string. If you try this shape again, cant the bowl forward to let the pipe relax.

To run with the string idea: on every pipe you make, imagine a string between the back of the rim (facing the smoker) and the button. Your goal should be to find a balancing point in the angles so that this string hangs with little tension. Maybe that makes no sense, but it helps me to visualize the relationship between bowl and shank. Let them balance each other instead of pull at each other.

Only other thing I see is these:

Scratches on a smooth are unacceptable and you should hold yourself to a higher standard than that. You are too good already to let shit like this slide.

I look forward to seeing more pictures. I wanna see your slot, your tenon, and your mortise.

Great work, Mark.

Thanks, David.

I think I understand what your saying about the string. The cant of the bowl has been one of the things I've been the most unsure of on this pipe since I got it shaped and drilled. I will definitely keep the string concept in mind from now on.

As for the scratches... Holy crap! I don't know how I missed that. I have looked this pipe over and over and I honestly haven't noticed those somehow. I totally agree that scratches aren't acceptable. Now I have to drive home at lunch so I can take another look.

Thanks for the critique! Very helpful.
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

Very nice, and very well executed.
Best regards.
Félix
fiddlestix

Post by fiddlestix »

The additional pics, as promised. Trying to work on a makeshift photo setup. Don't have it figured out yet, but it's somewhat better, at least. Need to remember to iron the sheet next time. :)

Red

Re: Pipe #11 - Elephant's Foot ~ Updated pics

Post by Red »

Great job, Mark!
fiddlestix

Post by fiddlestix »

Red wrote:Great job, Mark!
Thanks, Red!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Looks good.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Sand the inside of your slot to 400 and buff with a loaded pipe cleaner. The bevel on the rim should have the same finish as the rest of the pipe on a smooth. These little extras make a difference and will help to elevate your work if you do them.

Overall excellent work. This level of quality on your workmanship should be your do-not-drop-below line.

I'm excited to see your work progress.

-Tyler Beard
fiddlestix

Post by fiddlestix »

d.huber wrote:Sand the inside of your slot to 400 and buff with a loaded pipe cleaner. The bevel on the rim should have the same finish as the rest of the pipe on a smooth. These little extras make a difference and will help to elevate your work if you do them.

Overall excellent work. This level of quality on your workmanship should be your do-not-drop-below line.

Thanks David. I'll put more time in on the slot. I'm having trouble buffing the rim in general, with out wearing away the other edges... You've given me some good goals to strive for on the next. Thanks.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

fiddlestix wrote:
d.huber wrote:Sand the inside of your slot to 400 and buff with a loaded pipe cleaner. The bevel on the rim should have the same finish as the rest of the pipe on a smooth. These little extras make a difference and will help to elevate your work if you do them.

Thanks David. I'll put more time in on the slot. I'm having trouble buffing the rim in general, with out wearing away the other edges... You've given me some good goals to strive for on the next. Thanks.
You're welcome!

Try this: sand the bevel to 600 then stain. After that, remove the stain with 800 then 1000 until the finish matches the rest of the pipe then buff the bevel by hand. There are other similar methods to get a good matching finish. Try some stuff out.

-Tyler Beard
Charl

Post by Charl »

Looking grand! Well done
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Don't use a sheet. Use a piece of white poster board- the kind with a tougher glossy finish.

As far as scratches go- SHAME ON YOU! Na, we all miss that shit, for pipe #11, I think you're doing superb.

Alternative for the rim polishing, round it out a bit more so there isn't such a steep angle. Then just buff with slower rpms on your wheel.

Having a variable speed wheel for buffing is a lifesaver.

Your stem work looks great, the slot work is easily remedied as David explained.

Keep it up man!
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
fiddlestix

Post by fiddlestix »

maxmil wrote:Very nice, and very well executed.
Best regards.
Félix
Thank you, Félix!
fiddlestix

Post by fiddlestix »

wdteipen wrote:Looks good.
Thanks, Wayne!
fiddlestix

Post by fiddlestix »

Charl wrote:Looking grand! Well done