Acorn w/bamboo

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
kamkiel

Acorn w/bamboo

Post by kamkiel »

Hey guys, I kinda feel like I've been on a roll with making pipes and I need someone to put me in my place. I tried adding some dark brown stain to the bamboo and I think it turned out pretty good. The shank/bowl and shank/stem connection stills needs to be refined, but I think it is getting better with each time I try it. Practice makes better I suppose. Please have a look and tell me what you think!

Thanks,
Kiel
socrates

Re: Acorn w/bamboo

Post by socrates »

Very nice! Love the look of bamboo on a pipe.

Sent from my HTC0P3P7
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

socrates wrote:Very nice! Love the look of bamboo on a pipe.

Sent from my HTC0P3P7
Thank you Socrates! I like how it looks too, but just need to get better at fitting everything together.

I was also informed by a friend that I should focus a lot more on my stems. So I lit this pipe up for its first smoke and my friend was right. While working on this stem I paid a lot of attention to getting the inside slot sanded and smooth, occasionally checking if it was comfortable between my teeth. During the process, I thought it was quite comfortable, but now that I have smoked it I realize I need to start taking off a lot more. My jaw is quite tired from clenching this pipe. It is not heavy (small piece of briar and bamboo), but the bite zone is to big to hold this in the mouth without getting tired. I really need to invest in some electric calipers or something to be able to measure my stem dimensions.

Kiel
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Not too shabby! Bamboo can be a bear to work with and is certainly difficult to include in a composition and make the whole thing feel like a unit.

The pipe looks disproportionate to me. On future endeavors like this one, consider going shorter on the bamboo or larger on the bowl.

As stated, the stem work appears to be the area that needs the most improvement. Not just the button but the whole stem. The lines are awkward, there's too much meat left on the body of the stem, and the flare does not work with the pipe, IMO.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

d.huber wrote:Not too shabby! Bamboo can be a bear to work with and is certainly difficult to include in a composition and make the whole thing feel like a unit.

The pipe looks disproportionate to me. On future endeavors like this one, consider going shorter on the bamboo or larger on the bowl.

As stated, the stem work appears to be the area that needs the most improvement. Not just the button but the whole stem. The lines are awkward, there's too much meat left on the body of the stem, and the flare does not work with the pipe, IMO.
Thanks for taking the time to comment. I agree with everything you wrote. A while back I got a bunch of really really tiny pieces of briar. They were $4.00 a piece and cut into cubes with no regard to the direction of the grain. I still have two pieces left. Unless I can make something spectacular out of one of them, I probably won't be posting pictures.

For some reason I am having a hell of a time wrapping my head around getting a good stem. I'll admit (to make myself feel better) that they are getting better with each one that I do, but really need to spend a lot more time to make sure I even understand what makes a good stem a good stem. I have been looking at pictures of some of the professional pipemaker's stems. I feel like I have ADD or something though.

One day I will make a good stem, but until that day... thanks for the advice and comments.

Kiel
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

For your stems, work on getting the lines straight. You can see if it's straight by looking at the light reflection in the stem when it's wet. Then get a caliper and make sure the dimensions are right. 3.5-4mm behind the button, about 5.5-6.5mm on the button height, 16-18mm wide on the button. The nice thing about stems is anyone can learn how to do it because it's all measurable. It does take practice, though.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

sandahlpipe wrote:For your stems, work on getting the lines straight. You can see if it's straight by looking at the light reflection in the stem when it's wet. Then get a caliper and make sure the dimensions are right. 3.5-4mm behind the button, about 5.5-6.5mm on the button height, 16-18mm wide on the button. The nice thing about stems is anyone can learn how to do it because it's all measurable. It does take practice, though.
I do see a caliper in my future. As far as the light reflection goes, does it matter at what angle the light source is at? Probably 90 degrees from the side of the pipe, correct?

Kiel
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I have three main lamps on my workbench to see from every angle. You're just looking for wobbly lines. A wobbly line means there's something uneven.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
socrates

Post by socrates »

kamkiel wrote:
socrates wrote:Very nice! Love the look of bamboo on a pipe.

Sent from my HTC0P3P7
Thank you Socrates! I like how it looks too, but just need to get better at fitting everything together.

I was also informed by a friend that I should focus a lot more on my stems. So I lit this pipe up for its first smoke and my friend was right. While working on this stem I paid a lot of attention to getting the inside slot sanded and smooth, occasionally checking if it was comfortable between my teeth. During the process, I thought it was quite comfortable, but now that I have smoked it I realize I need to start taking off a lot more. My jaw is quite tired from clenching this pipe. It is not heavy (small piece of briar and bamboo), but the bite zone is to big to hold this in the mouth without getting tired. I really need to invest in some electric calipers or something to be able to measure my stem dimensions.

Kiel
Electronic calipers are really inexpensive on the bay. For what you need them for get the smaller ones. I find them easier to manipulate. I'm really looking forward to your next pipe.

Sent from my HTC0P3P7
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

socrates wrote: Electronic calipers are really inexpensive on the bay. For what you need them for get the smaller ones. I find them easier to manipulate. I'm really looking forward to your next pipe.

Sent from my HTC0P3P7

I will look into buying one, and thanks for the encouragement!

Kiel