blasted Anse

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

blasted Anse

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I blasted this pipe at Nate's shop as well. This time i did the blast myself and it probably shows. There is something weird about the stem i cant place. As usual feel free to critique, praise, or blaze as necessary. The critique on the last one was a big help. Help me become a better pipemaker.
BrianMadsen

Re: blasted Anse

Post by BrianMadsen »

First of all, nice pipe! and i think you did a good job on the sandblasting.
For the stem, i think it looks like it has a bit of a "canted" taper on the top line, and a bit more curve on the bottom line.
Maybe it's just the pictures, i don't know
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

The taper looks good on top from the button to just about the shank. Then is kind of rounds up and out and rolls into the shank (hope that makes sense). These little stems are REALLY hard to make. Because of that little hunk of extra meat the tapers don't match. I think that's what you're seeing. Also, have you tried to clench this pipe? It doesn't look like the button is tall enough. With a short stem that has such a severe taper you have to make the button taller than normal. If you don't there isn't anything for your teeth to grab on to and the pipe will waggle when clenched.

Had you taken a bit more material off the top of the bowl and made the rim a little thinner I think it would help. That might be a personal preference thing since that's the way I make mine. :)
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

scotties22 wrote:The taper looks good on top from the button to just about the shank. Then is kind of rounds up and out and rolls into the shank (hope that makes sense). These little stems are REALLY hard to make. Because of that little hunk of extra meat the tapers don't match. I think that's what you're seeing. Also, have you tried to clench this pipe? It doesn't look like the button is tall enough. With a short stem that has such a severe taper you have to make the button taller than normal. If you don't there isn't anything for your teeth to grab on to and the pipe will waggle when clenched.

Had you taken a bit more material off the top of the bowl and made the rim a little thinner I think it would help. That might be a personal preference thing since that's the way I make mine. :)
IAWS
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I'll look at the stem when I get home and see if it's something correctable. I was talking about from the top view, which I noticed isn't included. Thanks for your input guys (and girl)