blasted lovat *revised stem*

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

blasted lovat *revised stem*

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I corrected some of the problems with the stem. I left the original photo first, with the correction following for reference. I think it looks better. what do you guys think?

Hey guys. After the recent conversations here and elsewhere I have decided to try to post as many of my pipes as possible as soon as they are complete. I went to visit Nate yesterday, and he was kind enough to watch me fumble around his shop and attempt some to blast some pipes. He actually was very generous with his time and knowledge through out the day and helped me with some issues I have been trying to correct.I will credit this blast as mostly his work, as he was instructing me on how not to fuck up a decent ring grain. He wouldn't take my money, but I will try to pay him back. BELIEVE IT! So, here is the first of the batch, A ring grain blasted lovat with cumberland saddle stem. I Please feel free to critique, praise, or blaze where you feel it necessary. I am trying very hard to improve and with the help of Nate, Premal, and the PMF crew I hope that I am doing that. Thanks for looking.
Last edited by Joe Hinkle Pipes on Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
oklahoma red

Re: blasted lovat

Post by oklahoma red »

I like it. Mother Nature gave you a good piece of wood to work with.
The only whining I'll do is personal and that is I prefer my Lovats with a longer shank.
Alden

Post by Alden »

The stummel is awesome. I wouldn't call it a lovat, more of an apple. The stem does not match the stummel in awesomeness. I dont like the saddle and the sides aren't straight, none of the lines are good and crisp. If the stemwork matched the stummels quality this would be a damn solid piece.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Alden wrote:The stummel is awesome. I wouldn't call it a lovat, more of an apple. The stem does not match the stummel in awesomeness. I dont like the saddle and the sides aren't straight, none of the lines are good and crisp. If the stemwork matched the stummels quality this would be a damn solid piece.
+1
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Thanks guys. This is about the third saddle stem ever for me. I hated them because I sucked at them. I might go back and re cut the saddle portion. I will take a file to the sides from the top view and try to get the bite to proper thickness
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

d.huber wrote:
Alden wrote:The stummel is awesome. I wouldn't call it a lovat, more of an apple. The stem does not match the stummel in awesomeness. I dont like the saddle and the sides aren't straight, none of the lines are good and crisp. If the stemwork matched the stummels quality this would be a damn solid piece.
+1
My thoughts exactly.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
i.keenum

Post by i.keenum »

Love the blast on that pipe. Really crisp lines with lots of detail.
Alden

Post by Alden »

The stem is still fixable, and definitely worth doing on this pipe. Go to a smaller round file and be really precise in how you use it on the saddle. Take a flat file to the sides of the stem and just try to get that line down both sides really straight. Just be careful to stay off the end of the shank while you're filing.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Re: blasted lovat *revised stem*

Thanks for the advise Ryan. I hope i used it to improve.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Nice blast, better 2nd stem.
Alden

Post by Alden »

Fantastic. Now thats a pipe!
RobEsArt

Post by RobEsArt »

yes, what has already been said.

Very nicely done.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

thanks guys. I had to sand the ring at the end of the shank to make a better match with the stem, but you can see that the stain matches much better now. The stem ended up at .145 thickness at the button. had to knock down the button height because of that.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Good lookin' stem! Well worth the effort to fix it.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Nice work. :)