First Lundell Billiard...?

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Lundell

First Lundell Billiard...?

Post by Lundell »

Well, at least I was aiming for a Billiard. If I hit the target or not, this is what I ended up with anyway. you guys be the judge.
I know there is a few issues, the small gap on part of the shank/stem junction for one, but there is probably a whole lot more you can tell me about. So please, enlighten me!

I will hopefully get better at taking pictures as well...

Thanks for looking!
pipedreamer

Re: First Lundell Billiard...?

Post by pipedreamer »

I like it, and a good job.Could be the pic , But it looks like you rounded the shank right at the junction, it looks like you left briar dust on the finish of the bowl, first pic. nice stem. Looks like a billiard to me.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

Looking good. There is still A web at the stem shank junction as seen from the side views. Stem taper looks very nice from the side. The shank is just a little long for the height of the bowl. From the top view the stem sides need to be rounded a bit more. As far as the bowl shape, that is always up to interpretation due to which style you were going for. Overall it is much nicer than my first 8 billiards. lol
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Very well done for a first billiard. Next time, drill at just a few degrees wider than 90° and your bowl will be better balanced. Your rim looks a bit large. You can make the bowl thinner or the chamber larger to accommodate. The widest part of the bulge on the side of the bowl opposite the shank is about in the middle. Next time, put it about a third of the way up the bowl. This will balance the shape out and also provide more material to protect the pipe when the tobacco burns hotter near the bottom.

Your button should be a bit thinner. I shoot for 3.5mm behind the button and about 6mm or less for the button. Some people go to 4mm and maybe 7mm without becoming too uncomfortable.

One last thing. Check the lines of the shank with a straightedge and make sure especially the shank isn't wavy. Also make sure that the bottom of the shank from the shank face to the middle of the bowl is straight.

Once again, a great job on your first billiard. I've been trying to make a good billiard for months and still haven't put it all together yet.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Mixing the English classical style with Italian angles looks odd. It isn't "wrong"---few things in pipemaking are---but mixed expectations create a sort of visual dissonance that experienced PipePeople find confusing. In this case, tilting the bowl forward 2-3 degrees would eliminate the dissonance.

Uber-picky comment: The ever-so-slight rounding inward of the fishtail as the stem approaches the button shouldn't happen on a classic pipe. "Reversing" he radius from outward to inward the same amount would make the stem's lines consistent with the classical style.

Nice job with the Stem's side profile, though. Getting the converging/diverging lines straight is tough.

As Radney would say, "Now go make another!" :D
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Lundell

Post by Lundell »

Thank you all for your kind words and constructive critiqe!
And a special thanks to sandahlpipe and Solomon_pipes who helped me along with some good advise on Instagram. The result would've landed alot further away from a Billiard without you guys!
LatakiaLover wrote:Uber-picky comment
You know, that is probably the best compliment I've ever gotten regarding any of my pipes! :D
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Keep up the good work and looking forward to seeing another one soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Lundell

Post by Lundell »

Thought I'd throw some numbers into the equation as well.
Weight: 45g
Chamber depth: 43mm
Bowl height: 49mm
Chamber diameter: 18mm
Outside bowl: 37mm
Total length: 136mm
Stem length: 54mm
Button height: 6,9mm
Behind button: 3,7mm