Made a new pipe, #5

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Oleg.Koval

Made a new pipe, #5

Post by Oleg.Koval »

Hello All.
Thanks for critique and advices for my previous pipes.

This is the pipe #5 and I would be happy for any critique and advices - helps a lot to develop and grow.

Weight - 43 gram
Chamber - 18mm х 34mm
Length - 126mm
Height - 44mm
* used metric system

My pipemaking way
http://pipes.olegkoval.com
lancefisher51

Re: Made a new pipe, #5

Post by lancefisher51 »

That's a darn good looking pipe. Great work!

Lance
Using Tapatalk
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

Looking good for #5. I would say that the bowl looks like it wants to be an apple, but has too much billiardish height. The bottom of the bowl droops below the line of the shank. One other thing. The stem should have an even taper to the button. Your stem is kind of rounded and then drops drastically to the button. overall very good for number 5.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Your front and back symmetry is off a touch judging from the second and third photos. The underside of your stem needs more material taken off. The bowl seems a bit heavy and out of proportion to the thin diameter of the shank. All that being said, that is a really nice #5. The stain and finish are way better than expected for a 5th pipe.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Yak

Post by Yak »

Nice pipe. A purely personal preference would be for a wider bit. But I would value the 18 mm i.d. and the thickish wall design combination as ideal for smoking flakes.

FWIW
Oleg.Koval

Post by Oleg.Koval »

Thank you guys. Your support helps to not give up and continue to work and develop/grow.
Solomon_pipes wrote:Looking good for #5. I would say that the bowl looks like it wants to be an apple, but has too much billiardish height. The bottom of the bowl droops below the line of the shank. One other thing. The stem should have an even taper to the button. Your stem is kind of rounded and then drops drastically to the button. overall very good for number 5.
Thank you for advice.
I was afraid to make a hole in the mouthpiece. This is the second mouthpiece for this pipe, and the first one I made ​​thinner and as a result got a hole :)

wdteipen wrote:Your front and back symmetry is off a touch judging from the second and third photos. The underside of your stem needs more material taken off. The bowl seems a bit heavy and out of proportion to the thin diameter of the shank. All that being said, that is a really nice #5. The stain and finish are way better than expected for a 5th pipe.
I think you are right about proportion of bowl and shank - maybe I made this disproportion when "tuned" new mouthpiece and almost finished pipe (in first mouthpiece I made a hole when tried to make it thinner)

Yak wrote:Nice pipe. A purely personal preference would be for a wider bit. But I would value the 18 mm i.d. and the thickish wall design combination as ideal for smoking flakes.

FWIW
Thanks. Yes, this chamber size is great for flakes. My pipe #3 have a chamber size 24mm x 41mm :) (great for latakia).
My pipemaking way
http://pipes.olegkoval.com