'Nuther Churchwarden

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Literaryworkshop

'Nuther Churchwarden

Post by Literaryworkshop »

The last time I made a CW in this style, it sold pretty quickly, so I decided to make another one. It's sort of an apple, I guess.

I think I left a little too much on the very bottom, and the bowl isn't perfectly round, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with it. I don't know if my pipes are getting better, but I hope my photography is.
- Steve S.
amindtobemolded

Re: 'Nuther Churchwarden

Post by amindtobemolded »

The only thing I can say about the pipe is that I like the way it looks.

Do you work mostly with hand tools? I really enjoyed your blog post about making a pipe with hand tools and found it very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to write it.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Shaping's pretty good. Your shank flares a bit too much as it approaches the bowl, IMO.

Too bad there was no grain in that block. The ring grain looks killer though. Got access to a blasting set up?
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Literaryworkshop

Post by Literaryworkshop »

I wish I could blast! Eventually I'll probably invest in a basic setup, but that's going to be a good way down the road yet.

Yes, I do work mostly with hand tools. The holes are drilled on the drill press, and I do the buffing by machine, but everything else is saws, rasps, and files. It's not a bad way to work, really, and I enjoy it. A lathe would be nice at some point.

Funny thing about the grain. If I opened up a regular piece of furniture-grade hardwood and found grain like that, I would be thrilled at the figure and would try to find a way to display it prominently on a finished piece. But in the pipe world, the same grain is just meh. I'm just glad it didn't have any gigantic pits in it this time.
- Steve S.