First pipe - looking for critques

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
fiddlestix

First pipe - looking for critques

Post by fiddlestix »

This is the first pipe I have made and I'm hoping some of you more experienced guys can give me some thoughts and advice for the next one. I'm at work now and only have the few pics on my phone, which aren't great, but hopefully they will do for now. I am adding a couple of pics from earlier in the process because the pics of the finished pipe don't show some of the aspects of the stummels shape very well. I have a list of things about the pipe that I'm not really completely happy with, but would like to hear you fellows input as well.

e Markle

Re: First pipe - looking for critques

Post by e Markle »

This is a nice first pipe. Kudos on a nice bamboo/briar transition.

I would encourage you to make really simple shapes to start off. It's much easier to compare your billiard to another billiard, but I'm not really sure where to find another pipe like this to point you to. I would also encourage you to focus on learning one thing at a time. Learn to shape a stummel, then learn to make a stem, then learn to do an inlay, then learn to use bamboo, etc. (whatever order you want is fine, but that's pretty typical). You'll progress more quickly if you focus on less.

I don't find criticism on a first to be particularly helpful, and it's really tough to "help" someone when you aren't sure what their goals are. For example, if your idea of a perfect pipe is a Dr Grabow, then you're doing great; if it's Lars Ivarsson, then you've got some work to do (which is normal). Anyway, here goes:
1. your stem/shank junction should be tighter
2. your shank bowl transition should be cleaner
3. your button should be taller & the stem in general should be cleaned up
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

e Markle wrote:I would encourage you to make really simple shapes to start off. It's much easier to compare your billiard to another billiard, but I'm not really sure where to find another pipe like this to point you to. I would also encourage you to focus on learning one thing at a time. Learn to shape a stummel, then learn to make a stem, then learn to do an inlay, then learn to use bamboo, etc. (whatever order you want is fine, but that's pretty typical). You'll progress more quickly if you focus on less.
Ernie gave me the same advice when I got started and I blatantly ignored him.

That was the wrong choice.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

UberHuberMan wrote: Ernie gave me the same advice when I got started and I blatantly ignored him.
Whippersnappers :roll:
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

I'll explain.

What I chose to do at first was to start "making art" before I could just make a decent pipe. I've gone over stumbling block after stumbling block with this approach. I've sometimes showed work too early, or missed a detail that I should've perfected because I was trying to focus on everything all at once instead of focusing on nailing down each thing on its own and slowly bringing them all together.

All that to say, take Ernie's advice. Slow down, be patient, focus on learning one thing at a time. If you get bit hard by the bug, taking the approach that Ernie recommends will pay off in dividends in the future.

Edited: too many words.
Last edited by d.huber on Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

-Tyler Beard
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

So, great first pipe, now go make 20 more!

-Tyler Beard
Literaryworkshop

Post by Literaryworkshop »

One newbie to another:

You've really taken some time to get details finished nicely--especially for a first pipe! I can't fault your execution, but the shape as a whole could be refined a bit. The bowl looks pretty big and blocky when paired with a stummel and extension that thin, making the pipe look very front-heavy. If you did another one like this, you could scale the bowl down a little bit and end up with something pretty elegant looking.
- Steve S.
fiddlestix

Post by fiddlestix »

Thanks so much for the all of the advice. I struggle with the desire to attempt projects that are a little out of my reach in more areas than just pipes. I actually just had a similar conversation with my 11 year old son tonight as he was practicing violin and was attempting some improvisations that he obviously could hear in his mind but struggled to translate into music. I advised him that for his upcoming performance, he was better off playing a simpler version flawlessly as opposed to a mediocre execution of a more technically challenging version. The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree I guess. Ha!

Again, thanks for the good advice. I am starting to look around for a lathe that's is in my budget (which is really small), a few more tools and will be back to post take 2 as soon as I can. Hopefully it won't be long. I'm itching to get started again!

Thanks,
Mark
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

While it is a good first there are always so many things to work on.
-bamboo is inherently hard to do when you start out and it shows in the banding on this pipe
-the stummel is a little too top heavy and the shape is odd.
-button needs a cleanup and to be thinner (work on slot filing)
-could take a lot more material off the belly/underside.
-on your first few shapes, try not to have any facets as they are not quite right unless you are experienced and know how to make them flow.

would love to see more pipes Mark

evan