Learning from the masters

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
oldworldpiper

Learning from the masters

Post by oldworldpiper »

Hi everyone. I have yet to carve my first pipe but I am amazed at how much help is offered by pipe makers. Let's say you wanted to learn from one of the masters that lived fairly close to you. How would you go about this? Would you just contact the maestro and ask if they were willing to teach you a few things? Maybe ask if they offered any type of class?

I think it is pretty neat how you see the different lineages of pipe makers. We don't seem to be that far removed from some of the original grandfathers of pipe making.
Sasquatch

Re: Learning from the masters

Post by Sasquatch »

Some people will teach outright for money, some people don't mind a quick visit, some people don't want to have anything to do with this, and you'll just have to sound it out for yourself.

I think trying to make a pipe or two before you approach someone would be smart, get to know some people before you try to borrow or buy their time.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
oldworldpiper

Post by oldworldpiper »

Right on. I think that is great advice. I was sort of thinking out loud on this. That and listening to the oomPaul podcasts, all of the pros always talk about learning from the masters before them. Then I hit on a podcast where a couple of carvers were in my area. Those guys are lucky to learn from and talk to some of the founding fathers if you will. Unless guys just throw names around as part of a marketing ploy but i would like to believe that is not the case.

I am not looking to go pro or anything but just to grab some of the national treasure that is floating around. Small as it may seem. They are just pipes, right? :lol:
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

OldWorldPiper ---

In addition to what the Huge Hairy One said, know that pipemaking is like playing a musical instrument: Most people want to try it, fewer actually do, fewer still keep at it longer than a few months, and of those who do, not many get truly good. Then, of those, only a tiny percentage are good enough to make a living at it.

The point? Established carvers get approached regularly---some almost constantly---by people who say they want to make pipes. So often that (generally speaking) getting them interested in you requires showing them something about yourself besides simple desire.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

ask ernie! gracik is his homie and master. down boy :notworthy: :twisted:
the rev

Post by the rev »

I have probably been too pushy, but man I love pipe making and want to get better as fast as I can.

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
oldworldpiper

Post by oldworldpiper »

I am surprised there are that many aspiring pipe makers. Heck, I only know a handful of people that smoke a pipe let alone want to carve them.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

oldworldpiper wrote:I am surprised there are that many aspiring pipe makers. Heck, I only know a handful of people that smoke a pipe let alone want to carve them.
I activate about 10 people a week that are joining this forum. Lots of interest.

In other news, where do you live?
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

oldworldpiper wrote: Let's say you wanted to learn from one of the masters that lived fairly close to you. How would you go about this? Would you just contact the maestro and ask if they were willing to teach you a few things? Maybe ask if they offered any type of class?
That's a good question. Obviously, a lot of the answer will vary between personalities. My recommendation would be to take it slow. Maybe start with something simple like an "I like your work" email. Then maybe a call to ask a basic question about pipe making - make sure it's basic but demonstrates you've put some thought into it. Then just go from there.

I think the two most important things for the upper echelon makers to work with someone are 1) they think of you as a good guy who they could be friends with, and 2) you have a reasonable measure of talent - you don't need to produce a masterpiece, just a few careful, well-executed pipes.

Hope that helps.
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

e Markle wrote:
oldworldpiper wrote: Let's say you wanted to learn from one of the masters that lived fairly close to you. How would you go about this? Would you just contact the maestro and ask if they were willing to teach you a few things? Maybe ask if they offered any type of class?
That's a good question. Obviously, a lot of the answer will vary between personalities. My recommendation would be to take it slow. Maybe start with something simple like an "I like your work" email. Then maybe a call to ask a basic question about pipe making - make sure it's basic but demonstrates you've put some thought into it. Then just go from there.
Was my question well thought Ernie?! :(

In other news- yeah, I second what Ernie says, take it slow and make a few pipes first- you can learn a lot of the basics here, and figure out if you like pipemaking. Then, figure out if you want to become really good at it or just feel like tinkering in the shop. Then maybe try to contact a master.

Cheers!

Yeti
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
oldworldpiper

Post by oldworldpiper »

Thanks guys. You all have been a big help. I have updated my profile to show Milwaukee, WI!

All I need are 2 things to get this party started. Materials and a 4 jaw chuck.
oldworldpiper

Post by oldworldpiper »

Tyler wrote:
oldworldpiper wrote:I am surprised there are that many aspiring pipe makers. Heck, I only know a handful of people that smoke a pipe let alone want to carve them.
I activate about 10 people a week that are joining this forum. Lots of interest.
Wow, that is awesome. I always wondered whether the art is dying and other times I feel like it is about to breakout. Regardless, I'll always keep my pipes close by. (even though I only smoke one every other day or so).
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

oldworldpiper wrote:Thanks guys. You all have been a big help. I have updated my profile to show Milwaukee, WI!

You've already got a lathe? That's great! You're way ahead of where most of us began. I started with a couple blocks of briar and a rasp and file.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

Sas is right... Oh how that pains me to write... Make a few good pipes.. Get some decent feedback here first and then leverage those 'masters'

You'll get some good advice here... The first time I visited Tyler was mainly just to chat.. I'm sure I had a few of my masterpieces with me, and he was nice in his critique.. Best part was the honestly and the discussion about how to get better.. Since then I've visit a few really good guys over here where I live... Sitting down, talking about life and enjoying a great coffee have been paramount... During three visit I was introduced to their family, enjoyed a great dinner and had a great time.. Another visit was spent talking about my time in Japan... His dad was a pilot in the japanese air force one the base i was stationed on and where he also lived for a few years...probably three hours talking about everything and about an hour in the shop talking technique... Don't rush the visit, get to know the makers.. And you'll find out that you'll probably make some friends in the process..

Key is taking their schedules into account..I've been planning a visit with one guy that keeps on moving as he has real customers coming by, weve both had to move appointments due ro sicknesses, and my work schedule does conflict at times also....

another has a family events that preempted our visit on Saturday... We've rescheduled for July .. I expect the same for those that come visit me.. Get to know the folks..you'll make some good acquaintances and maybe a few friends in the process ..

Best of luck

James
Growley

Post by Growley »

I have people approach me all the time asking if I'll teach them how to make pipes. Like Ernie was saying, I like it when people take it slow, like an email stating they like my work or some such, then offering me a nice bottle of scotch or a box of my favorite cigars, a small token of your appreciation for their work. Then it's aways nice to get taken out for 18 holes on the local course followed by surf and turf dinner. At this point I start warming up a bit. After a few weeks of being showered with gifts and compliments I'm ready to start giving back some. :lol:

Ok, so most of that isn't true. But I have had a few people stop by and ask for help. One such person is local (about 10 minutes away). I'm pretty much willing to help almost anyone, but I'll tell ya some things that probably make it easier for pipe makers to help you out.

1. Start with an email or phone call. I've found that pretty much every pipe maker I've called was willing to spend at least 30 minutes on the phone with me.

2. Listen. It's easy to come into this thinking you have some wonderful ideas on how to turn this pipe world upside down and really make a difference. I know I thought that. Listen to what said expert thinks you need to focus on, where to start, and so on.

3. Apply. Show the pipe maker that you're not only taking his/hers advice, but you're applying it to your efforts. Nothing says "I respect and value your opinion" better than trying to work out the things they've tried to teach you on your latest pipe.

4. Do your homework. Don't expect to be spoon fed by said expert. Watch "how to" videos, read this forum, read blogs, look at as many pipes as you can and so on.

5. Respect their time. Remember that most experts make pipes for a living. When you walk into their shop you're walking into their "office". They've got to keep moving to make money, and they might not have a lot of time to sit and shoot the bull. I've had to remember this because I'm terribly long winded some times and have forgotten in the past that what I call a hobby, another calls bread on their table.

...just some thoughts...
the rev

Post by the rev »

I can attest to Growleys long windedness

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
Growley

Post by Growley »

the rev wrote:I can attest to Growleys long windedness

rev
So can all who have talked to me....
oldworldpiper

Post by oldworldpiper »

Wow guys, great insight and advice. Maybe I don't even have to leave my chair. All of the good advice is right in front of me. Judging by the looks of your guy's pipes if you told me they were made by Lars, Sixten or Bo I would probably believe you. Can't wait to get your input on a piece of my own carved briar. I am already in good hands. :thumbsup:
oldworldpiper

Post by oldworldpiper »

UberHuberMan wrote:
oldworldpiper wrote:Thanks guys. You all have been a big help. I have updated my profile to show Milwaukee, WI!

You've already got a lathe? That's great! You're way ahead of where most of us began. I started with a couple blocks of briar and a rasp and file.

Not that it is going to make me better pipes, but i like using tools and there are lots of uses for them outside of pipes. I basically traded my table saw in for an old but excellent shape Craftsman 101 12X36" metal lathe. Then I found a variable speed belt driven bench grinder ran by a 1/3HP motor for 40 bucks. I attached a 7" sanding disk to 1 side of the grinder. I lucked out too because it is all mounted on a piece of plywood that I can move anywhere to do some shaping. I already had a drill press and a band saw.

Sometimes, I wish i would have started the pure way with a rasp and file though. I think there is something to be said for that.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

oldworldpiper wrote: All of the good advice is right in front of me. Judging by the looks of your guy's pipes if you told me they were made by Lars, Sixten or Bo I would probably believe you.
Ok...the first thing we need to work on is your eyes.

:D :D