Pipe #2 - Cherry Brandy

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Jthompson1995

Pipe #2 - Cherry Brandy

Post by Jthompson1995 »

I finished my second pipe this week, a kind of squat, quarter (?) bent brandy made of cherry. Still using practice wood but I'm hoping this one smokes good, I really like how it turned out. The pipe is just about 6 3/8" long, chamber is 3/4" by 1 1/4" deep, bowl is 1 7/8" wide by 1 1/2" tall. Hand cut ebonite stem with delrin tenon. Beall buffed.

I drilled the draft hole slightly off center of the bottom of the mortise (I hadn't read enough of the posts on the forum to realize I should have drilled the air hole first when I drilled this one) so I ramped it slightly to get smooth airflow and so it passes a pipe cleaner. I appreciate any critiques and advice you care to give.

Thanks for looking.
Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!
-Walter Blodget
Ocelot55

Re: Pipe #2 - Cherry Brandy

Post by Ocelot55 »

The stem is superb. Very well done. The bowl however could stand to loose a lot more weight, especially around the shank/bowl junction. I'd also really focus on making the bottom line very smooth and curved.

You've avoided a TON of rookie mistakes on this pipe. I think you're well ahead of the game. Good job.
Jthompson1995

Post by Jthompson1995 »

Thanks for the critique. I'm really pleased with the stem, especially since I've been able to compare it to some of my boss's pipes that have significantly thicker bits. I measured this one at just over 1/8" thick just behind the button.

Can you expand why you say the bowl needs to lose weight? The proportions and curves of the bowl are pretty much exactly what I was going for. Is the bowl too big for the shank? I was concerned if I made the bowl smaller but kept the proportion that the tobacco chamber would get too small. Thanks.
-Walter Blodget
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Look at how Rad managed the bowl shank transition on this pipe:

See how much smoother the transition is than yours? The lines are very distinct. Your shank and bowl almost meld into one. Really not too much more material needs to come off, you just need to sharpen up your lines.

Just my opinion. You'd probably do much better getting critique from some of the big boys, unfortunately they're all kicking up their heels in Chicago right now. That means you're stuck with me. :mrgreen:
Jthompson1995

Post by Jthompson1995 »

Cool, thanks!
-Walter Blodget
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

your stem is stupid good for your second pipe. ive made a few stems and they dont look half as nice. i always seem to mess up the slot opening with the 1/16 drill bit. anyway thats a nice brandy, shes full figured :wink:
-evan
Charl

Post by Charl »

Well done for a 2nd pipe. Keep going!