Mt. Vesuvius

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
the rev

Mt. Vesuvius

Post by the rev »

This is a volcano shape obviously. I based it loosely on a shape by Todd Johnson. I am going to start making a lot of more traditional shapes as soon as I get some commissions done, but I hope you will let me know what you think about these next few freehand pipes

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
Ocelot55

Re: Mt. Vesuvius

Post by Ocelot55 »

That's pretty good, rev, although IMHO that's an poor block to make a volcano out of. The radius on the plateau is just too flat; not enough curve. I think this could have been compensated for with a stem that curves upward a bit more. Maybe something like this:

When I think of archetypal volcanoes, I think of this:

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/s ... t_id=80844

That said, I think you're doing a lot of stuff right. Polish looks good, staining looks good, the button looks like it needs some refinement, but I like how the stem saddle has a pretty consistent thickness. Just make sure if it varies it should taper toward the pipe.

Probably not as good a critique as it should be, as I still consider myself a newbie. I bet some of the big boys will have much better advice.

Good job and keep up the good work! :thumbsup: