ND Pipes - P0913

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
ND Pipes

ND Pipes - P0913

Post by ND Pipes »

ND Pipes - P0913
This pipe was made using a piece of plateaux briar from Italy.
She has several rings made from padauk and acrylic together with 4 thin rings to make contrast between layers.
Mouthpiece was made using an acrylic rod, turned on lathe to roughly shape it and finished by hand.

More pictures and data here: http://tnd-pipes.com/pipes/p0913/

"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
WCannoy

Re: ND Pipes - P0913

Post by WCannoy »

I'm gonna come over to your shop and snatch that green stain off of your bench! :lol:

I love this shape, but the stem is quite diminutive. The length is ok, but it needs to taper up wider leading into the face of the ferrule. It just doesn't look like the stem belongs on this pipe at all.

The four thin rings "to make contrast" did just the opposite. Having the darker of the thin rings against the black acrylic decreases the sharpness of the transition, sort of blurs the line. Leaving the darker rings out would look much better on this one!

Other than that, I've noticed that on many of your pipes, the stain is uneven where there are sharp lines and ridges, maybe hitting those ridges too hard with the wheel. Very difficult to avoid, but something to try to watch out for.

That's all I got! The stem is a pretty big deal to me and would prevent me from buying this pipe, but otherwise overall a fantastic pipe!
the rev

Post by the rev »

I love this shape so much. I do think that a bit longer of a stem would look nicer, but I would still love to have this pipe.

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
AlfaDog

Post by AlfaDog »

Exceptional workmanship. No one can fault your execution. You have a very unique style, every pipe is an original NDpipes creation. That's one thing I may never have is the imagination to dream up new and original shapes. At present, I can only create badly executed copies. Congratulations.