Fun "wizard" pipe project

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
phmann

Fun "wizard" pipe project

Post by phmann »

So my asked me a while ago to make him a pipe "like Aragorn's from Lord of the Rings." It wasn't really something I'd done before but it sounded fun. I did after all do nothing but stare at the pipes in the latest movie "The Hobbit". He told me to be creative, so this is what I came up with. It has two stems, both made from hollowed out Ash branches, that are different sizes. The stummel is briar and I used stainless steel for the tenon. We smoked it this past weekend and smokes surprisingly well with that long stem on there. I figured two stems would be a good idea in case one breaks or cracks. This was fun, I plan on making more of these.

"A good pipe guides the restless mind."

-Manny

http://mriverapipes.wordpress.com
Great Plains Piper

Re: Fun "wizard" pipe project

Post by Great Plains Piper »

I'm no expert but I have a feeling that the stainless is going to cause you problems at some point. I dig the shape of the bowl and applaud your efforts here but those smarter than I could probably tell you why you don't see anyone using stainless for pipe construction. But hey if it smokes nice and you like it I say enjoy it!
Thus o’er my pipe, in contemplation
Of such things, I can constantly
Indulge in fruitful meditation
And so, puffing contentedly,
On land, on sea, at home, abroad,
I smoke my pipe and worship God.

-Johann Sebastian Bach
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

Great Plains Piper wrote:I'm no expert but I have a feeling that the stainless is going to cause you problems at some point. I dig the shape of the bowl and applaud your efforts here but those smarter than I could probably tell you why you don't see anyone using stainless for pipe construction. But hey if it smokes nice and you like it I say enjoy it!

not gonna get into it to much, ill let the big boys deal with this, but stainless steel hypodermic tubing is used for alot of stem tenons on things from bamboo to horn to even hardwood. its used alot and is very safe and durable. since it is stainless it doesnt rust with moisture which makes it perfect for a close to stummel tenon. people also use brass tubing but id rather go with stainless.
take my info FWIW and hopefully someone will take it from here.
cheers
evan
phmann

Post by phmann »

Great Plains Piper wrote:I'm no expert but I have a feeling that the stainless is going to cause you problems at some point. I dig the shape of the bowl and applaud your efforts here but those smarter than I could probably tell you why you don't see anyone using stainless for pipe construction. But hey if it smokes nice and you like it I say enjoy it!
Trust me I made sure to do some reading prior to this undertaking. there's a great deal about stainless steel applications on this forum. I also talked to Tim West who usually sells me briar and materials, and he recommended the stainless. My initial thought was delrin but thanks to my friend, Tim, I did not make that mistake. I do appreciate the concern. I'll be sure to post if anything goes terribly wrong. But so far it smokes great. A little spicy at the end of a 1/4 bowl of Mac Baron Black Exotic but I think that was some of the expected off favors from the Ash. I anticipate going away over time.

FYI, I'm pretty sure brass is not safe to expose to heat and then inhale the gases it produces. I read that when researching distillation hazards. I read about someone trying to make a bong out of brass and was strongly advised against it. Don't know if this is true but it's not worth the risk for me.

-Manny

Great Plains Piper

Post by Great Plains Piper »

Cool, I obviously wasn't speaking from a perspective of experience or vast knowledge. I really wasn't worried about it being a good material in terms of health, safety or durability.

My line of thinking was more along the lines of that steel tube heating up because it is directly inserted into or at least very near the smoking chamber. Certain types of tobacco smoke hotter than others obviously and some of it relies on the smoker too and I would think it would be easy to get that steel pretty hot if you weren't careful. I'd be worried about burning fingers, obviously you wouldn't be holding the pipe by the shank/tenon/tube but if it did heat up you'd have to be careful. Honestly I have no real reasons to think this but when I looked at this pipe the first time my thoughts were: "that's cool looking and that steel tube is gonna burn the wood where they touch."

I hope I didn't come off as critical, I'm a pipe nobody and I really do think your take on a wizard pipe is sort of cool. The steel tube gives it something that I can't quite describe, I want to say steampunk but that's not really it. Wizardpunk?
Thus o’er my pipe, in contemplation
Of such things, I can constantly
Indulge in fruitful meditation
And so, puffing contentedly,
On land, on sea, at home, abroad,
I smoke my pipe and worship God.

-Johann Sebastian Bach
phmann

Post by phmann »

Great Plains Piper wrote:Cool, I obviously wasn't speaking from a perspective of experience or vast knowledge. I really wasn't worried about it being a good material in terms of health, safety or durability.

My line of thinking was more along the lines of that steel tube heating up because it is directly inserted into or at least very near the smoking chamber. Certain types of tobacco smoke hotter than others obviously and some of it relies on the smoker too and I would think it would be easy to get that steel pretty hot if you weren't careful. I'd be worried about burning fingers, obviously you wouldn't be holding the pipe by the shank/tenon/tube but if it did heat up you'd have to be careful. Honestly I have no real reasons to think this but when I looked at this pipe the first time my thoughts were: "that's cool looking and that steel tube is gonna burn the wood where they touch."

I hope I didn't come off as critical, I'm a pipe nobody and I really do think your take on a wizard pipe is sort of cool. The steel tube gives it something that I can't quite describe, I want to say steampunk but that's not really it. Wizardpunk?
No worries, I don't think you came off as critical at all. I wouldn't post a picture on this forum without expecting criticism anyway. It's interesting, the guy who commisioned this pipe is very much an outdoorsman, naturalist, and hunter and I thought this pipe would suit him. On the other hand he has a lot of earrings and makes knives and such. I thought the exposed steel with give him a more "modern naturaslist" impression that seems to be his character and personality.

-Manny

wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

Lots of pipes have the stainless going right to the chamber. Like the Dunhill Duke, or some of their Cavaliers, etc.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=dun ... edIndex=35