3-13 Lovat and a Freehand reject

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Ocelot55

3-13 Lovat and a Freehand reject

Post by Ocelot55 »

Well 2013 is already off and rolling. Here is number 3 of this year. An absolutely lovely grained lovat in group 2. This is using some of my new briar from Mimmo. So far his stuff is the tops!

Up next a reject Freehand. I had a lot of hopes for this one. The briar was very clean except for a massive flaw that goes into the mortise. I just had to finish it. This one found a home with a friend of mine.

As usual I need all the critique I can get. Thanks for looking.
andrew

Re: 3-13 Lovat and a Freehand reject

Post by andrew »

I like the freehand quite a bit.

The first one has some pot characteristics with a long thick shank. There is some more material to take off on the back of the bowl (yes the back back, where all sane people consider it to be) that might clean up the shape a little bit. I think overall it could lose some weight.

The shank taper might be a little too pronounced when nearing the bowl.

I like the even blonde finish. It is a very clean piece of wood.

The lines on the freehand stummel are nice. A bit Sas-esque. There is something that seems off about the stem lines when comparing them to the shank lines (side view). The taper might be a little abrupt.

Overall, these are looking good. Your stem work is very nice, esp. near the button.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I agree. On the first pipe, either the bowl is too small for the shank, or probably more accurate the shank is Too fat for the bowl. It is probably just the angle of the picture but it appears that the shank has a reverse taper. I think the freehand is a much better pipe overall considering you can't control pits showing up. It's too bad because that's a pretty sharp pipe. It seems like every time I make a pipe I nail down a small detail a little tighter. You seem to be doing the same. Nice progress!
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Yep. You guys are right. The shank on the freehand is all messed up. There isn't enough curve on the bottom of the shank ( I took off too much), and the stem doesn't fit the overall flow.

On the lovat I should have just turned an integral tenon, but delrin is so much easier and I only had 5/16. I didn't feel comfortable getting it too much thinner. I did order myself some 1/4 delrin shortly thereafter so I can start making thinner shanks. The shank overall is difficult to get right on a longer shanked pipe. One of these days...
andrew

Post by andrew »

You can also use stainless steel tubing with very thin shanks. Works great. Just have to set up your drilling properly for a snug fit in stem and mortise. Also remember to smooth ALL the edges on a ss tenon, otherwise it will carve its own path into a mortise, gradually widening it into a piece of useless garbage :) (yes, I did that...).