Hello from a noobie

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
bbeberle

Hello from a noobie

Post by bbeberle »

Hey everyone, I wanted to stop by and introduce myself to the community. I haven't been browsing too long at all but am very interested in pipe making. I love to work with my hands and have made my own calf belly cigar cases for a while now. While that was fun, it didn't challenge me very much at all in terms of creativity. I am hoping that pipe making or carving as it is in my case right now, will help me to express some of that. I have a plateau block from PIMO on its way right now and my mind is already flowing with ideas. I have no idea what I will make or where I should start. What I do know though is that my first carving will probably look like crap haha. Another thing I know is that probably doesnt mean it WILL look like crap. I hold myself to a very high standard and turning out superb work, even in my real job is something I strive to do.

With that said, I would like to hear from some y'all as to which style of pipe will be the most forgiving for a new guy like me. I would like to pick a shape and keep at it until I make it perfect. Detouring from classic designs this early and doing my own thing probably wouldn't hurt TOO much but I don't know the basics and I imagine that the classics are classic for a reason. Being so new I think I need the "structure" of a classic pipe rather than just coming up with my own personal design. So again, what would y'all recommend carving for a noobies first pipe?

BTW, thanks to Tyler for the sticky "Letter". It was a great great read. I'll post a few pics of my Meerschaum for y'all when I get a chance.

Tyler
The Smoking Yeti

Re: Hello from a noobie

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

For a first pipe, I'd say try a billiard. It's simple enough, yet really subtle and tricky to do right.

A shape like the billiard is great, because it can be compared to a series of "proper" proportions etc. so people, especially Sasquatch, can give you pointers in the right direction.

I look forward to seeing your first piece!

Cheers!
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
Alden

Post by Alden »

Another guy named Tyler from Midland Tx ? No, no, no. There can be only ONE.
Its time for Thunderdome.
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

everybody in Midland is named Tyler.... their short on names there.. down the road in Monahans all the men are named James

welcome aboad Tyler 2... Tyler 1 has been here a while..

james
bbeberle

Post by bbeberle »

Thanks y'all, I just stumbled on this site and saw the creators name was the same as mine and then saw the city and chuckled. It really is a small world as they say!

Yeti: I was thinking the same thing. With the billiard competition topic and my own research I think I can come up with something. It all starts as soon as I get the block in, I will make a topic a post up my progress.

Alden: Name the time and place brother! haha

Jog: Don't even get my started on Monahans, I know that place just as well as I know Midland. My mother grew up with and my grandparents (may they rest in peace) lived there for many many years.
the rev

Post by the rev »

welcome to the forum. I am a fellow noob, and am kinda stuck doing more out there designs for a while as friends have commissioned them. However, I am hoping to try and do some more traditional shapes like the billiard so that the wonderful people here can tell me how shit I am. :)

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
Alden

Post by Alden »

jogilli wrote:everybody in Midland is named Tyler.... their short on names there.. down the road in Monahans all the men are named James

welcome aboad Tyler 2... Tyler 1 has been here a while..

james

Thats funny you say all that. I grew up in a little town in East Texas. When I was about 5 my mom drove out to Odessa to work for two weeks one summer and she took me along and put me in daycare somewhere. On the playground I met a kid who told me his name was Ryan. Well, I never met another kid named Ryan (in my head everyone had their own name I guess). I told him, no, my name is Ryan. He insisted for quite some time that was his name also. Eventually I got so mad that I beat the kid up, got kicked out of Daycare and spent the rest of my time playing with G.I. Joes in the backroom of the little shop my mom was painting at :lol:
the rev

Post by the rev »

My name is John... my dad's name is John I learned real quick that there were many Johns.

I beat people up for fun, not name stealing :)

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Welcome to the forum!

I agree with Alden, two Tylers from Midland is too much. We could call you Relyt....maybe you should choose your own nickname.

Small world indeed. I have a good friend who grew up in Monahans.
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

I graduated from Monahans High.. lived there for 2.5 years.. (Oil Field Brat) and my Mom still lives there... plan on visiting late Nov Early December.. nothing has changed in the town in 20+ years

james
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

jogilli wrote:I graduated from Monahans High.. lived there for 2.5 years.. (Oil Field Brat) and my Mom still lives there... plan on visiting late Nov Early December.. nothing has changed in the town in 20+ years

james
Wow, that's pretty cool. You certainly do get around, James. I know Canyon, TX is pretty far North from Monahans but if you make it up this way I'll buy you a drink.
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

Ocelot55 wrote: You certainly do get around

Don't tell the ladies that... and if I'm ever in Canyon.. I'll stop by...

james
bbeberle

Post by bbeberle »

As promised, here is what I smoke on a daily basis. Got another one coming in soon as well. Both came from Turkey. Enjoy.

http://i.imgur.com/sMH9X.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/bVYai.jpg
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Ocelot55 wrote:
jogilli wrote:I graduated from Monahans High.. lived there for 2.5 years.. (Oil Field Brat) and my Mom still lives there... plan on visiting late Nov Early December.. nothing has changed in the town in 20+ years

james
Wow, that's pretty cool. You certainly do get around, James. I know Canyon, TX is pretty far North from Monahans but if you make it up this way I'll buy you a drink.
You ought to come down when James is in town next. He and I get together whenever he's around. Tyler2 could join us also, and we could have a PMF mini-gathering.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Tyler wrote:
Ocelot55 wrote:

james
You ought to come down when James is in town next. He and I get together whenever he's around. Tyler2 could join us also, and we could have a PMF mini-gathering.

That would be epic!!! It's about a four hour drive to Midland from here, so that is quite possible.
bbeberle

Post by bbeberle »

I'm down
andrew

Post by andrew »

Welcome. Just pick a shape that interests you. Any shape will help you (pretty much). The most important thing is to start making briar dust! Good luck and ask lots of questions.
bbeberle

Post by bbeberle »

Thanks Andrew, mine won't be a true Billiard I don't think given this block will have a MUCH longer shank but I suppose I could cut it down. I don't really want to do that though. I prefer a long shank to be honest. So I will leave it the way it is and see what I come up with. PIMO just sent me an email saying they are shipping tomorrow so hopefully next week I will get it in.