Newbie Intro

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Chadd

Newbie Intro

Post by Chadd »

Hello all. I'm fairly new to pipe making and I am glad to have found this forum. Lots of useful information and helpful people here. I hope to add a little bit here myself in time.

A little about me. I come from a boatbuilding/woodworking background, so I have a small collection of tools needed for pipe crafting-minus a lathe and grinder/buffer.

I've built 3 pipes so far, 1 from a PIMO kit, and have found it to be a very rewarding process. While they all turned out ok, and smoke fine, they aren't the best in terms of details. My sanding technique needs some work. I'll try to post a few pictures for review soon.

I've got a few questions.

Is there a "standard" size for the tobacco hole? I've machined a 3/4" spade for boring the tobacco hole, but I was wondering if anyone bores a smaller diameter? Are there any drawbacks to a smaller diameter in regards to how the pipe smokes?

Thanks in advance,
Chadd
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Chadd, from what I understand there are changes in the way a person must smoke a pipe with a smaller and larger diameter. 3/4" is my preferred size and it will smoke fine. I think that you will not start to notice a difference in how you need to pack/smoke a pipe until you are over what 1.25" or so. But my experience is pretty limited but I've done a lot of reading etc. So take it for a what it's worth. I'm sure one of the pro's will chime in here soon.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hiya Chadd.

3/4 to 7/8 seems pretty standard.
stdly

Post by stdly »

Welcome Chadd,
3/4 is what I use but sometimes after some final sanding of the bowl gets enlarged and sometime I just keep enlarging because the shape calls for it.
I have only noticed that the prince and the buldog shapes have larger shallower bowl shapes.
Regards,
Steve J

Opinions! Everyone has one and everyone thinks the other persons stinks
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Newbie Intro

Post by KurtHuhn »

Chadd wrote:Is there a "standard" size for the tobacco hole? I've machined a 3/4" spade for boring the tobacco hole, but I was wondering if anyone bores a smaller diameter? Are there any drawbacks to a smaller diameter in regards to how the pipe smokes?
Welcome, Chadd!

3/4" and 7/8" are my prefered chamber diameters, but I also have had requests for smaller chambers where I'll use a 5/8" bit.

The smaller chambers are good for people that have trouble keeping their pipe lit - it allows the incoming air to move more evenly over the lit tobacco, and keep the heat of the embers close to the unburnt tobacco. On the other hand, you need a smaller tamper to tamp in a chamber that small.

Past about 7/8", I have trouble keeping the tobacco lit. That's probably due to my smoking style more than anything though.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Chadd

Post by Chadd »

Thanks guys. I think I fall into the "can't keep the bowl lit on larger bores" category so I am going to make a pipe with a 5/8" diameter bore and see how it works for me. It's all about experimenting, right?

Cheers,
Chadd