the pipe gods have been angered

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
sam a

the pipe gods have been angered

Post by sam a »

this is the fruits of this weekends labors...

sigh... all dead due to massive flaws, fissures, and one was definitely my bad (we'll call it the learning curve... that sounds good) i did get a couple of good salvageable stems out of the deal though.
Sasquatch

Re: the pipe gods have been angered

Post by Sasquatch »

This is a bummer, man.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Cool shape. You could finish them and sell them as rejects/seconds. :lol:
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Alden

Post by Alden »

That sucks man. Lots of shaping practice though. Curious where the briar is from ?
sam a

Post by sam a »

Alden wrote:Curious where the briar is from ?

rather not say... don't want to harm anyone's reputation (you know how things can get twisted and carried away, esp. via the interwebs) likely just a string of bad luck is all.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

That briar could be just about anybody's, in my experience. Some days you just get unlucky. I did a little Bing and had to cut about 4 stummels before I got one that wasn't total garbage. It happens sometimes.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

That's rough buddy. The shape is great. Is rustication an option to finish those up?
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

The pipe gods were definitely angered by that particular shape. Perhaps you happened upon one of the Forbidden Shapes in your innocent enthusiasm.

But since they are all the same basic shape, couldn't you treat them like a collection of extensions and carve up a couple as replacement parts, maybe getting two unique pipes plus some future extension work? Absent that, jewel-encrusted surfaces tend to distract the eye from surface anomalies and can be effective in the right market.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Creativity is the residue of time wasted."

Albert Einstein, famous pipe smoker
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

Hudson wrote:The pipe gods were definitely angered by that particular shape. Perhaps you happened upon one of the Forbidden Shapes in your innocent enthusiasm.

But since they are all the same basic shape, couldn't you treat them like a collection of extensions and carve up a couple as replacement parts, maybe getting two unique pipes plus some future extension work? Absent that, jewel-encrusted surfaces tend to distract the eye from surface anomalies and can be effective in the right market.
God, that made me laugh!