Oversized Freehand Ball

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Gershom

Oversized Freehand Ball

Post by Gershom »

Does the name fit the shape? Give ideas of how I could improve. Thanks!

Finished it this weekend. About 5-10 hours in it.

Sasquatch

Re: Oversized Freehand Ball

Post by Sasquatch »

The second photo is damning - you haven't got the bowl anywhere near round, nor anywhere near symmetrical. I think that's the biggest issue with the pipe. If you cut the bowl shape more accurately, paying particular attention to the shank transition, and tighten in that shank a bit, you'll see it come to life.

As it is, it looks like a pipe that a guy was really careful in drilling but there is no flow in the shaping - no idea behind the pipe - it's a ball, but the shank is sort of square, the stem is no particular match for the shank or the bowl... it's just a bunch of separate ideas kind of crammed together as a pipe.

This is one of the major difficulties with this kind of freehand - keeping it as a composition with a single aesthetic is difficult. What stem WOULD compliment a big round bowl? It's a tough question for a newer carver to answer, let alone create the appropriate stem.

If you look that the run-of-the-mill Nording freehand, these 75 dollar units, they all have the same stem, many have the same angles, and about 1 in 20 is a well proportioned pipe. Have a look at "better" freehands (Nording's better stuff even) like Jacono makes for instance, and you'll see a huge difference in how well formed the curves are, the proportions, the grace of the stem and how it compliments the piece as a whole.

So if you are going to continue with freehands, start looking at really well cut ones, and fight the idea that because it's a freehand you can "get away with it". There is some room for improvisation to be sure, but you can't carve a lumpy pipe and say "oh the lumpy ones are special".
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

Thanks Sas. I am glad to take your advice.

You need to come move into my house and help me progress as a maker. Since that is impossible, (I know you want to, but my wife won't let you,) I will have to settle for the advice given on this forum.

I agree. I need to focus on the idea of a pipe, instead of just jumping into one. I also need to take more time shaping. I will definitely study more freehands like Jacono. Thank you for your input, it is valued.

Maybe we should have a freehand competition... Like the Oom Paul competition... It would definitely help improve my efforts.

Make sure you see my other pipes that I will post in the future. I want your input.
Growley

Post by Growley »

I would agree with Sas...I mean, who doesn't agree with Sas? :D One thing that helped me focus on the details was the Kansas City Pipe Carving Contest. Knowing that my submission had a chance of going in a magazine really pushed me to dig into the details. I kept thinking of how some awesome photographer would take all these ridiculous cose-up pictures and blow them up huge so every one would would see every last flaw.

I've tried to keep that fear in mind while making my following pipes, and I picture seeing my pipe in a magazine. Would people see tool marks? Would they see lumpy stems and malformed buttons? Would the they see stain in the bowl?

They just have to be perfect....tough goal for sure, and I'll never get there, but it's worth striving for. That's what makes it fun though. You can't just bang out a perfect pipe that is the pinnacle of your abilities and hang up pipe making knowing you mastered the trade. You can always make a better pipe.
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

Similar to what's already been said, I see two geometries colliding without much attempt at reconciling them. I think the shank is the better part so I'd keep working on the bowl and pick up some of the angles in the shank. I like the rustication itself but its placement on the bowl seems random and not really responsive to the shapes. You're obviously motivated and committed to improving so take advantage of all the images that are available on the net, maybe even print out versions of the shape you're pursuing, cut them up and piece them together and see how one part influences the other.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Creativity is the residue of time wasted."

Albert Einstein, famous pipe smoker