Glue

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
wmolaw

Glue

Post by wmolaw »

I know this has been discussed some before, I have done search after search and saw many different ideas, but it doesn't seem to me to have been discussed in depth, I could be wrong.

I have been using epoxy to attach extensions to the shank. Home Depot, five minute stuff. Seemed to work great. However, the first one I did has now come loose after about a month of off and on smoking.

Damnit! Is it just the epoxy I'm using, or should I use something else. The extension was lucite, but I wonder the same about wood, bone, etc.

I read one article about using CA to do this and that it seemed to do a wonderful job.

So, would appreciate some advice, what sort of glue is best for extensions and other uses on a pipe? Is there one which is a "good for all uses" or should there be different glues used in different circumstances.

Apologize if I missed a comprehensive article that discussed this, but really did spend quite a bit of time searching.

Thanks for the help, as always.
RadDavis

Re: Glue

Post by RadDavis »

I use epoxy for shank extensions. Are you turning a short tenon on either the extension or the shank before gluing it on, or are you gluing smooth face to smooth face?

Rad
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

RadDavis wrote:I use epoxy for shank extensions. Are you turning a short tenon on either the extension or the shank before gluing it on, or are you gluing smooth face to smooth face?

Rad

I turned a tenon on the extension which was inserted into the shank. Glue on tenon and on face where they met.

I see many different epoxies, maybe the Gorilla Glue five minute stuff ain't worth a damn?
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

wmolaw wrote:
RadDavis wrote:I use epoxy for shank extensions. Are you turning a short tenon on either the extension or the shank before gluing it on, or are you gluing smooth face to smooth face?

Rad

I turned a tenon on the extension which was inserted into the shank. Glue on tenon and on face where they met.

I see many different epoxies, maybe the Gorilla Glue five minute stuff ain't worth a damn?
I have no idea. I use some 5 minute that I bought at Ace Hardware. I think it's called LocTite?

Rad
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

RadDavis wrote:
wmolaw wrote:

Rad

I have no idea. I use some 5 minute that I bought at Ace Hardware. I think it's called LocTite?

Rad
I have seen that brand as well. Thanks for trying to help. Maybe it just didn't mix properly, or I didn't clean area well enough. I have two other pipes I used it on, so we shall see. I haven't smoked either one yet, so can't tell.

Got me reading about it though. Thanks again.
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

What I use will depend on what I'm bonding ....

Plastic to plastic (including ebonite, lucite, delrin)
Loctite Epoxy

Dissimilar materials (lucite, etc to wood)
System 3 Epoxy

Wood to wood
Titebond III
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

kkendall wrote:What I use will depend on what I'm bonding ....

Plastic to plastic (including ebonite, lucite, delrin)
Loctite Epoxy

Dissimilar materials (lucite, etc to wood)
System 3 Epoxy

Wood to wood
Titebond III
That's great, THANKS!
sam a

Post by sam a »

maybe the Gorilla Glue five minute stuff ain't worth a damn?
yep... i had the same problem with that stuff. switched to the loctite 5- min and all is well now.
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

sam a wrote:
maybe the Gorilla Glue five minute stuff ain't worth a damn?
yep... i had the same problem with that stuff. switched to the loctite 5- min and all is well now.
Good to know, throwing that stuff out tonight. Thanks.

I wonder from the other threads I searched, does CA work as well?
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

CA glues are good for certain applications. They REQUIRE pressure to set so if you can't clamp or push hard on something don't bother. Over all, I'd use epoxy as it is both heat and water resistant. I use LePage 5 minute.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
andrew

Post by andrew »

I use system 3 five minute epoxy. Gorilla was crap.

Titebond III is God's gift to woodworkers.