Danish Bent Bulldog

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
wdteipen

Danish Bent Bulldog

Post by wdteipen »

Finished this one up today. It's a Danish inspired sandblasted bent bulldog with a Cumberland ebonite stem. If I had to do it over again I would have gone with a lighter sandblast because I lost some definition and symmetry of the upper half of the bowl especially on the 'back' of the bowl. You can especially see it in the first picture. Critiques welcome.

Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Ocelot55

Re: Danish Bent Bulldog

Post by Ocelot55 »

Out...freaking...standing

Bulldogs are becoming one of my favorite shapes, and I love the danish interpretation especially.

Everything looks well done...now if only I could fit that pipe into this month's budget.
SchmidtN

Post by SchmidtN »

I don't often critic pipes, but that is seriously pretty. Great design and execution.
Hello, I'm #1312.
That's a really big number.
Growley

Post by Growley »

Nice pipe Wayne! For some reason the half saddle totally hit me right on this one. Design wise, I can't see why it's necessary, but I really like the way it looks. I LIKE black pipes too. Makes me want to go make one.

The only thing I would say as a critique is it looks like your saddle it thicker than your shank, not where the stem hits the shank, but the bendy part near your bowl. I might just be seeing a shadow or something that's making it look smaller.

Very cool pipe.

Brian.
Alden

Post by Alden »

A+
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Thanks fellas. I can't take full credit for the design. It's inspired by a recent Karsten Tarp pipe I bought. His is way better though.

You are correct, Brian. The shank is a touch thinner near the bowl. I lost a bit of thickness with the sandblast there too. Good eye.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
taharris

Post by taharris »

Wayne,

Please tell me that is your pipe in the hat trade entry!

Nicely done.

Todd
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

Beautiful, you're a true artist.
Best regards.
Félix

Preciosa, eres un verdadero artista.
Saludos.
Félix
Sorringowl

Post by Sorringowl »

That's a beautiful pipe! I really like the harmony between the cumberland half saddle (very Kai Neilsen-esque--whose work I love) and the deep, sandblasted bowl. I, personally, really like the deep sandblast on this. It seems, for some reason, I don't often see a bulldog with a deep blast like that and I think it's one of the many things that make this pipe work.

There is a fine balance playing here between contrast and harmony that is really working. The deep blast on a bulldog (a usually classic shape that I think a lot of makers are cautious to modernize). The bent half saddle cumberland (very modern) that works with that classic bowl. I don't know, Wayne, I can't put my finger on it, but it's all working, man.

REALLY nice!

And I just checked out your website (which I haven't visited in awhile). Wow. Some really beautiful eye candy there and your skills have gotten crazy good! Keep it comin'! Thanks.

Oh, yeah, if you get a chance. Could you post some bigger pix of this? I feel like I need to see this beauty up close.
“When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself”
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Sorringowl's leather pipe accessories shop: http://www.sorringowlandsons.etsy.com
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

:shock: Great pipe.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Tommi

Post by Tommi »

Hi,
beautiful work, nice pipe.