12-04 Calabrandy

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Jos

12-04 Calabrandy

Post by Jos »

Hi Folks,

second try at "calabash effect":

12.9 cm / 5.08 " long, weight 62 g / 2.2 oz., acrylic stem.

Critique, please ...

Jens
Ocelot55

Re: 12-04 Calabrandy

Post by Ocelot55 »

Wow look at that grain!

Are you planning on smoking this on, Jens? I'd really like to know if that sort of system makes for a better smoke.

As far as the pipe, it looks pretty cute. I just wish the bowl was a little more voluptuous around the bottom, kinda like a bigger brandy glass. Looks great though. :thumbsup:
Jos

Post by Jos »

Ocelot55 wrote:Wow look at that grain!

Are you planning on smoking this on, Jens? I'd really like to know if that sort of system makes for a better smoke.

As far as the pipe, it looks pretty cute. I just wish the bowl was a little more voluptuous around the bottom, kinda like a bigger brandy glass. Looks great though. :thumbsup:
Thanks for your comment! No, I plan on selling it :) . I'm regularly smoking my first attempt at that system, and still like it.
Yes, I guess a more voluptuous bowl would've given the pipe more harmony, but more weight as well - and it isn't exactly a featherweight, anyway ...

Jens
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Jens,

I'm a fan of the "calabash" style. They're hard to make look good if not impossible but from a functional standpoint they are just too cool to a geek like me that digs that sort of thing. I'm not a big fan of the bowl shape on this one from a design standpoint but the pipe overall is well executed. What I really like is your metal work. Did you spin it yourself?
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Jos

Post by Jos »

Hi Wayne,

thanks for your comment ! Yes, I produced the end cap myself, turned it
from solid aluminium. That thingy consumed about 1/3 of the total working time :roll: ...

Jens