12/7/11

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
hawky454

12/7/11

Post by hawky454 »

Hello, here we go again. I tried another stab at a billiard and I feel I'm getting closer, but I think I'm still making some of the same mistakes. Please, let me have it.

Go hang a salami I'm a lasagna hog.
Ocelot55

Re: 12/7/11

Post by Ocelot55 »

I can't offer much criticism, only what I prefer aesthetically, so keep that in mind.

First the top of the bowl should be parallel with the shank (IMHO). Second, this borders on a pot because the bowl is very broad. I don't know if there is some textbook magic ratio concerning how tall a bowl must be compared to width, that's just what it looks like to me.

Other than those tiny aesthetic changes, I looks like a pipe most smokers would be proud to own. Keep up the good work.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

It is a bit wide for its height, but I think what's happening is that the "chin" of the bowl, (bottom left in first pic) is a bit heavy for a billiard, and squatting down into pot shape.

The cant on the bowl is maybe a bit much, but you certainly want some forward cant - if you build it at 90 degrees it looks really funny.

I would suggest tapering the shank just a touch, just to make sure that visually, the part near the bowl is heavier than the stem end.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
hawky454

Post by hawky454 »

Thanks guys,

Sas, I was aiming to taper the shank as you suggested...but it did not work out like planned. I will try again. I have been working with 1/2" vulcanite rod stock but just recently purchased a rod from PME and it's much larger in diameter. Do you shape the shank on the lathe while the stem (rod stock) is fitted in the mortise? I would just like to know your method? (if ya don't mind)
Go hang a salami I'm a lasagna hog.