Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Please tell me how I can make it better next time, as usual! :D
jogilli
Site Supporter

Re: #1136

Post by jogilli »

Carl

Honestly said I like it.. the only thing that I would comment on is the bowl shank transition. From looking at the pictures the left and right sides are done at different angles and the bowl to shank transition is too straight.. I'd round it a little bit more so the transition is smoother..

james
archaggelosmichail

Post by archaggelosmichail »

Nice pipe, I like it's length.

But you should go with a larger bowl, or a thinner shank, It would give the pipe the right harmony, cause now I see a shank with a bowl, not a bowl with a shank. :wink:
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Shaping the back of the bowl to mirror the front would vastly improve the look. Otherwise, very nice looking pipe!

Rad
Alden

Post by Alden »

Dude, I love this pipe exactly as it is. Even if someone can find flaws, I think its awesome exactly as made.
Please tell me its sold, so I can stop checking my bank account and crying.
Ok, PM me with a price if its not sold.
Or just lie and say its taken, I would be better off that way.
Damn I like this pipe.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Thanks for all the input, guys. Really appreciate any feedback I can get. Especially because of sitting on this Dark Continent of mine!
@James: I tend to make my shank/bowl transitions way too sharp. I'm trying to get it a it more "relaxed", but for some reason I find it extremely difficult! :lol:
@Rad: I didn't actually think of mirroring the front of the bowl. Was trying to go for the Dublin-esque look. Might have worked making it a bit more bellshaped.
@Edward: Sold, sorry! Really! 8)
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I agree with Rad. I think it would have worked better to leave more briar in the heel. Other than that it looks nice.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Alden

Post by Alden »

Charl wrote: @Edward: Sold, sorry! Really! 8)
Whew. Thanks for telling me that, wether its true or not :D
I'd like to point out what I like about it. The difference between the front and back of the bowl, for one.
I love the grace of the curve from the shank to the front of the bowl, and I think the straight back opposes and highlights this.
To me, it ends up very well balanced and pleasing to my eye.
I like the hard transition from shank to the back of the bowl, as part of the balance mentioned above. The hard lines of the back opposing the soft curve of the front.
Now its quite possible that I'm actually crazy, but damn this pipe calls my name. Maybe its because it does break the rules, but successfully so.
One change I think would balance it, and it may be a personal preference. The large shank doesn't bother me. It looks right to me, but it feels like a shank that started the same size but tapered towards the stem would complete the pipe.
Take it for what its worth.
I'm not a pipe maker yet, but I've been a pipe buyer for a long time, and I would have bought this one exactly as it is.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

wdteipen wrote:I agree with Rad. I think it would have worked better to leave more briar in the heel. Other than that it looks nice.
This comment brings up an interesting point. What is the front and the back of the bowl?

I took Rad's advice to be commenting on the exact opposite side of the bowl. (Maybe because I was biased by my own thoughts that the problem is the shank side of the bowl.

I also think the very large "stamp" on the side of the shank detracts. I'd put it on the bottom of the shank.

Tyler
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I think of the back as the shank side.

Rad
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

RadDavis wrote:I think of the back as the shank side.

Rad

Which is what I thought you meant.

I'm so confused. :doh: