New pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
JonBood

New pipe

Post by JonBood »

Heres a new pipe. Only dyed with brown leather dye that was sanded away, then oiled with danish oil and finally carnuba.
Please let me know what you think! :wink:

There isn't too many photos. These three are basically the only ones that turned out OK after borrowing my sisters camera. All the others had shine from the flash that made it impossible to see the pipe.

HumblePipe

Re: New pipe

Post by HumblePipe »

Jon, nice pipe, it looks a little heavy but its pretty none the less!
Archer

New pipe

Post by Archer »

I was waiting on a comment about it "needing some shaving"....lol!!!

For the camera:

Set a timer, set it on a tripod or something solid, turn off the flash, and let the auto exposure work, it will brighten it up!!

Good effort on it! Much better than mine so far!
Growley

Post by Growley »

Nice work. I really like the color of it in the second picture. Does the other side have that pretty of birds eye?
hawky454

Post by hawky454 »

Great curves. Nice finish. Good job.
Go hang a salami I'm a lasagna hog.
JonBood

Post by JonBood »

Thanks for the comments!

It's a quite small pipe so don't think it will be too heavy. The birds eyes are not that good on the other side :( But some straight grains there instead. Have to get a little bit more into taking better photos but for now the best I have on my own is my mobile camera...
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Jon, I think by heavy he meant that more briar could be removed to refine the shape and I would agree. The shank could taper more gradually so that it's thinner towards the bowl and the bowl above the shank needs more briar removed to better match the back of the bowl and transition from the shank more smoothly. The area where the shank meets the bowl is one of the tougher parts to get just right. If you don't take off enough briar then the pipe looks "heavy" and unrefined which are hallmarks of a novice pipe. If you take off too much then the proportions get thrown out of whack. You don't see this as much in early attempts at pipemaking because most of us tend to be afraid to take off too much briar and end up with a useless chunk of wood. It's a good early effort and you have some nice birdseye grain. Keep practicing.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
JonBood

Post by JonBood »

Ahh, my bad! Have to read up on the glossary :mrgreen:
I really see what you mean, have too keep that in mind next time..
It's really good getting flaws like that pointed out, didn't really think about it before but now it seems obvious!

Otherwise I liked this type of design, felt good in the hand :D
Any idea what it might be called, looking through a chart I have I'd say a bent apple or something?
HumblePipe

Post by HumblePipe »

Sorry Jon, yes by heavy I did mean that some more briar may need to come off :D But other than that I really like it. The color and grain are beautiful. Nice job!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I think it's too tall for an apple. I would say it most resembles a bent egg.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com