14-11 '2x7'

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Nate

14-11 '2x7'

Post by Nate »

Chubby One-Knuckle Blasted Billiard.

http://www.natekingpipes.com/2011/10/14-11-2x7/

Many things wrong with it, we'll see if you guys come up with what I see. And hopefully you will give me new things to think about. :D
bregolad

Re: 14-11 '2x7'

Post by bregolad »

Well done. That's a pretty nifty pipe.
That being said, I did notice a few things :) the walls of the bowl are almost vertical, which makes it look to me more like a small bowled stack. A little more taper towards the rim might make it look a little better. The only other thing is I feel like it needs a slight forward can't, or a very slight bend in the stem.
J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

Nice! Two items which are perhaps of a personal preference. I like to see the rim of the bowl rounded or beveled, to me, it just looks more completed. I think a knuckle of bamboo somewhat smaller in diameter would have helped the visual appeal. bob gilbert
LAH

Post by LAH »

Very nice pipe, Nate!

Abe
Nate

Post by Nate »

bregolad wrote:Well done. That's a pretty nifty pipe.
That being said, I did notice a few things :) the walls of the bowl are almost vertical, which makes it look to me more like a small bowled stack. A little more taper towards the rim might make it look a little better. The only other thing is I feel like it needs a slight forward can't, or a very slight bend in the stem.
Thanks Bregolad! You are certainly correct about the outer walls and their lack of taper or curve, especially on the face. That is one of the major issues I had with it, (and note to all, my next pipe will be along the same vein so pay no attention to its shaping :)) and it will be corrected in the future. Going for an English style bowl, but went too far. Now it does have a(n) (approximate) 3º cant, but because of the bowl issue and perhaps another, I think it appears to lose the cant. Bummer indeed. I think it also (for shank length and whatnot) has just a tad too tall a bowl, but again, I think a correct profile would help that issue. Thank you very much for your observations! I do appreciate it, confirms my suspicions.
Nate

Post by Nate »

staffwalker wrote:Nice! Two items which are perhaps of a personal preference. I like to see the rim of the bowl rounded or beveled, to me, it just looks more completed. I think a knuckle of bamboo somewhat smaller in diameter would have helped the visual appeal. bob gilbert
I would agree Bob, it could have used a rounded rim, especially with it being smooth. I had another high grade pipe maker make the same note. And after my next pipe (see note in previous post about the next pipe's shaping :)) I think I'll start with that approach. I have done one chamfered rim as well and really like the looks of it, but I only like it on certain pipes. Thanks for your thoughts, very helpful!
Nate

Post by Nate »

LAH wrote:Very nice pipe, Nate! I think you are one of the most talented pipe makers ever!

Abe
Thanks Abe! You are too kind.
bregolad

Post by bregolad »

after looking at it again, I think it might be the bamboo tricking my eye about the cant thing.

oops :)
J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com
Nate

Post by Nate »

bregolad wrote:after looking at it again, I think it might be the bamboo tricking my eye about the cant thing.

oops :)
No worries man! I do believe the cant is lost somewhat, but it is still there, I swear! :D
LAH

Post by LAH »

Nate wrote:
LAH wrote:Very nice pipe, Nate! I think you are one of the most talented pipe makers ever!

Abe

:lol: You a sneaky one!
Nate

Post by Nate »

LAH wrote:
Nate wrote:

Abe

:lol: You a sneaky one!
That I am ;) :lol:
JMG

Post by JMG »

Major player, bro.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
andrew

Post by andrew »

I have to say, I've got a soft spot for short pipes. This one would fit the bill perfectly. I like it.
Abi Natur

Post by Abi Natur »

Hi Nate,
it indeed is a stylish pipe and with such a difficult task to solve, you never the less did a great job flawlessly! :thumbsup:

Best,
Abi
" Keep it simple until it gets complicated "

http://www.canaanpipes.com/
Archer

Post by Archer »

andrew wrote:I have to say, I've got a soft spot for short pipes. This one would fit the bill perfectly. I like it.
This.

Also, it goes without saying that you would have to do this to the stem/shank junction in this particular case, but I love the way you blended the dips in the 'boo with the stem...that just catches my eye, and Im not crazy about 'boo...
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

Beautiful.
Best regards.
Félix

Preciosa.
Saludos.
Félix