Egg

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
LAH

Egg

Post by LAH »

Finished this one up yesterday. I'm pretty pleased with the way it came out. There's a couple little pin sized pits in it, but I couldn't bring myself to give it a blast. As always your words are welcome.

Abe
e Markle

Re: Egg

Post by e Markle »

Looks good to me Abe. I don't really have any criticism, but I would call this more of an acorn than an egg. But, I guess since you made it, you get to name it :).
Swede

Post by Swede »

Very nice.
You are
What you do
When it counts.
-The Masao
Nate

Post by Nate »

Another fine piece Abe! Really nice man! Keep it up!!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

That's a beauty.

I'll offer a couple of things to think about, and you can take them for what they're worth. I'm not sold on the back side of the bowl - above the shank it sort of fudges out a little, certainly it does not appear to "line up" with the line of the bottom of the bowl under the shank. So you lose some definition on a very well defined bowl, and that hurts the overall look.

The other thing I'm not sold on is the discrepancy in the curve on the front of the bowl versus the backside, and how this relates to the rim. The front is pudgy, the back is lean, and the rim is a very hard line indeed, matching... maybe neither. I keep imagining this pipe with a slight angle, front to back, and I suspect that "loosening" that rim just a bit, making it a little more playful, would blend in against the shape of the bowl better.

But that's me looking for things, the first impression of the pipe is that it's very nicely made.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Growley

Post by Growley »

Abe, nice pipe! I tend to agree with a lot of what Sas said. It could be that the picture being so dark on the bottom is hiding the true curve therefore making it harder to see if it lines up or not.

There are several things I really like though. I really like the stem, the fit, the shape and the connection. Also your stain and polish are both very nice.

Nice work.

Brian.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Cool!
LAH

Post by LAH »

Thanks guys.

Sas, thanks for your thoughts, as always very informative. I agree with what your saying. The back of the bowl is always a problem area for me, I hope in time I will cure that.

Abe
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

LAH wrote:Thanks guys.

Sas, thanks for your thoughts, as always very informative. I agree with what your saying. The back of the bowl is always a problem area for me, I hope in time I will cure that.

Abe
You will.

Rad