Briar 1 : James 0

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
jogilli
Site Supporter

Briar 1 : James 0

Post by jogilli »

I thought I would name this the pipe that didn't wan't to be.. but changed my mind... Talk about a piece of work...Everything that could have gone wrong with this pipe did. Originally the shank was about 1.5 inches longer with a light (white) horn ferrule. The horn had the tennon on it and the shank the mortise.. while trying to get the proper curve in.. I ended up sanding into the tennon... so I had to cut off the end where the tenon was showing through.. next thought was bamboo... unfortunately I have no bamboo that would have fit the shank diameter.. so fiddle a little with drill bits and the stummel and I had room to fit another piece of horn.. then when fitting the first brass ring all was well until I was shaping the horn .. got too close to the brass.. so more sanding.. and picking a smaller diameter of brass.. fit.. .. but too much went wrong.. I got a piece of briar that wanted to stay briar... so it will become mine.. plan on breaking it in tonight.... mouthpiece.. luckily I had one sitting around since Sas convinced me to change the shape on my other blowfish.. :)

Weight 29 grams
Length 5 1/2" 140mm
Width 1 1/16" 29mm
Height 1 3/4" 44mm
Bowldepth 1 1/2" 37mm
Sasquatch

Re: Briar 1 : James 0

Post by Sasquatch »

LOL.... had one of those too. My wife came into the shop and asked why there was a "pipe on the floor". I told her it was in pipe purgatory, there to languish until I threw it out. I had tried to smash it into a thousand pieces, but briar just goes "clunk" when you throw it. Very unsatisfying!
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

Almost chunked it to tell the truth.. but decided to just try and keep it for me.. and I must say.. smokes like a charm...
DMI

Post by DMI »

I think half the fun is working out what to do when things don't go according to plan, I have a box with some 'not quite right' stummels that I go back to every so often. This can lead to some lead to some odd shapes and combinations which is part of the fun.

David.