Fresh meat! Nautilus nose warmer and a variation

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
oklahoma red

Fresh meat! Nautilus nose warmer and a variation

Post by oklahoma red »

My first and second pipes for your critique.
The shape of the nautilus nose warmer is based on the logarithmic "golden spiral". Admittedly a bit of an oddball but what the hell? In order to make all the drilling come out right the chamber is angled back about 15 degrees from the top plane. Rookie mistake in getting the stem (acrylic) too hot when I put the bend in. Looks bad but the whole thing smokes like a champ. No intention of selling anything until I'm happy I know what I'm doing.
The second exercise started with the same spiral and angled chamber then I totally changed the stem to make it a bit more "normal" and reduced the size a bit. The stem ring is faux ivory and again the stem is acrylic. I'm still working on those stinky hard rubber rods.
The decorative bands on the stems is turquoise Inlace. The color doesn't show very well.
I manufacture illuminated aircraft control panels for a living and I have a blast cabinet that utilizes glass beads for the media. The briar on both had some flaws I wasn't happy with so I decided to dive in and blast'em.
Fire away!
Chas.

Last edited by oklahoma red on Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
oklahoma red

Re: Fresh meat! Nautilus nose warmer and a variation

Post by oklahoma red »

Whoa! I did not intend to post such monster size pics. Any tips on making them smaller would be appreciated.
Also, how do you put breaks in between them? These are run together.
Chas.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

You need to re size them in your photo editing program. I make mine 640 pixels wide.

Rad
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

RadDavis wrote:You need to re size them in your photo editing program. I make mine 640 pixels wide.

Rad
and that's why I always make mine 641 wide.
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

Some men's pixels are larger than others...
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
Sorringowl

Post by Sorringowl »

You know, I hear there's a market (especially here in "Amerrka") for BIG pipes. I think this is the biggest pipe I've seen. Ever. :lol:

Seriously, though, would love to see a more "human-sized" version of this. Looks interesting.
“When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself”
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Sorringowl's leather pipe accessories shop: http://www.sorringowlandsons.etsy.com
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Ok, I have the pic sizes under control. I'm still educating myself on my photo software (PhotoShop Elements 9). Everything in there including the kitchen sink.
Thanks for the size info Rad.
Spacing between pics was a no-brainer. Put a space(s) between the image links in the message box. Duh.
Chas.
frazeeg

Post by frazeeg »

I'm a fan of the second one. Looks like it's just enough briar there to have a little heft and sit comfortably in the hand. Must be nice to have equipment at work you can use :D
-=Pride is not a sin=-
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Thanks frazeeg. The nose warmer sits comfortably also. The curved bottom and the slight indentations behind the bowl make it easy to hold. By angling the axis of the bowls on both I was able to drill deeper and still keep the bottom thickness good. I've not yet lit up the second pipe but the nose warmer has become a favorite. It will burn for a long time with the deep bowl.
Yes, I'm fortunate to have access to various pieces of equipment in my shop. I also have a granite slab and digital height gauge which makes scribing layout lines a breeze.
Chas.