1st, 2nd, and 4th

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
cmueller

1st, 2nd, and 4th

Post by cmueller »

Hello, I am very new to making pipes and rely on a hand drill and drill press for right now, but would appreciate any feedback that you guys can offer. The first pipe was made before I started reading the postings on this site, but the rest were after reading the helpful information you all have to offer. The ball busting you guys do to each other keeps me entertained, haha. The pipes below are my 1st, 2nd, and 4th pipe, the 3rd one I drilled poorly. Thanks

Boekweg

Re: 1st, 2nd, and 4th

Post by Boekweg »

WOW! I must say, for your 1st, 2nd & 4th, you have done a vey nice job, especaily the 4th. It really stands out. :thumbsup:
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Considering the tools you're using you've done a nice job for early attempts. There's definitely a progression in the right direction from one pipe to the next. The biggest thing I see that you could concentrate on is symmetry. The other areas for improvement are really dependent on having the right tooling.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
taharris

Post by taharris »

I particularly like #2.

Todd
Massis

Post by Massis »

I think you did a really nice job on the rustication of no3. The added rings to the bottom of the stummel are a nice addition and they're nicely finished.
The only thing I think you need to work on for that pipe is the stem/shank transition. I believe this pipe would look alot better if it were a flush transition and perhaps if the stem was just a tad shorter.

Of course it's easy to criticize, but I'm sure I couldn't have done these nearly as well as you have. If these are really your first pipes, then I think it's safe to say you have a decent amount of talen!
cmueller

Post by cmueller »

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate it.