11-11

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Jos

11-11

Post by Jos »

Hi folks,

next one, another wire wheel job:

12.7 cm / 5" long, weight 42 g / 1.48 oz., acrylic stem.

Critique, please ...

Regards, Jens
Taspiper

Re: 11-11

Post by Taspiper »

I'm still yet to try this finish. Today I did try a scrap of briar against the wire wheel I had and only managed to burn it, back to the drawing board.....
Cheers Rolf.

"I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs." -Albert Einstein

http://www.acmeengineering.com.au
http://www.rolfhey.com
Rolfhey@acmeengineering.com.au
JeremyV

Post by JeremyV »

I like that a lot. It's funny (to me) that you posted this. I was examining the remaining briar I have this morning and started considering rustication options available with the tools I have. This is the one I decided to try first. Hopefully I'll give it a go tomorrow night.

With the "V-bottom" shape, I'm curious about the shape of the tobacco chamber. Is it also V-shaped or more round?

Nice work!
JV
bornagainbriar

Post by bornagainbriar »

I like the shape a great deal. I'm personally not just a fan of the wire-wheel or wire brush rustication. Just me. Fantastic work though!
"A pipe is a good thing for all men. For wise men, it gives them time to think and ponder. For a fool, it gives him something to shove in his mouth." - Unknown...
Jos

Post by Jos »

Hi guys,

Thanks for your comments !

Rolf,
I'm still yet to try this finish. Today I did try a scrap of briar against the wire wheel I had and only managed to burn it, back to the drawing board.....
The wire wheel needs to be made of steel, and coarse. I'm running it on a drilling machine, dunno exactly at what speed ...

Jeremy,
I like that a lot. It's funny (to me) that you posted this. I was examining the remaining briar I have this morning and started considering rustication options available with the tools I have. This is the one I decided to try first. Hopefully I'll give it a go tomorrow night.

With the "V-bottom" shape, I'm curious about the shape of the tobacco chamber. Is it also V-shaped or more round?
If you try this on a shape that includes sharp edges, be aware that the wire wheel will gnaw something off at these ... as seen on the top edge of the shank.
The tobacco chamber is rounded, and the bottom is sure thin - but not scaringly so...

Regards, Jens
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

@Jos

Is that a pipe or a murder weapon?

Hey, if its smokable, at least its usable right?