Calabilliard

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
wdteipen

Calabilliard

Post by wdteipen »

Here's my take on the Eltang Tubos. I know it's a love it or hate it shape but I'm intrigued by the calabash-esque air chamber. I can't wait to smoke it to see how it effects the smoking experience. Holding it in hand, the shape starts to grow on you. I'd love to get some dialogue going from pipemakers regarding the engineering of this style of pipe.

Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
ND Pipes

Re: Calabilliard

Post by ND Pipes »

nicely done :)
congratulations...:)
"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
JMG

Post by JMG »

I definitely fall on the "hate" side for this shape, but I still can appreciate your execution. Everything looks really well done, Wayne. Even though I hate the shape I'd still love to smoke. Like you, I'm curious if it changes things at all. My only critique is that I think it would look better if you chose a stain for the area where you maker's mark is that matched the olive wood ring a little more.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
mredmond
Site Supporter

Calabilliard

Post by mredmond »

I'm really intrigued by the engineering and aesthetic design. Both of Tom's Tubos shapes are a fun experiment in modernist minimalism, which is a design aesthetic I wish we saw more of in the pipe world. It looks like you did a good job executing the design. I would love to try one (smoking and making) some day. Let us know how it smokes.

Micah
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Sawdust

Post by Sawdust »

It's an interesting idea, I don't know if it works but I found this article about the concept.
http://www.apassionforpipes.com/neills- ... ffect.html

Jim
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

How does this differ from the Peterson system pipes principle?

As for the pipe, I like the execution, finish, accent wood detail, stem etc. All of the Tubos, including this one seem a bit ugly and oddly proportioned, but they are unique, and creative, I think.
Nice bag, too.
flix

Post by flix »

Wayne,

I appreciate how much effort required, but, ugh...
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

Very nice, me likie! :D
DMI

Post by DMI »

I wonder who came up with the idea first Tom or Micheal Revyagin.

http://www.mrpipes.ru/catalog/collection-2011/

David.
mredmond
Site Supporter

Calabilliard

Post by mredmond »

My understanding is that Revyagin's approach is a bit different then Eltang's, though I don't claim to know the differences as I haven't seen either in person. I think the difference is in the chamber shape/arrangement. I believe Neill Roan's post on it mentioned that Tom Eltang and Rolando Negoita collaborated on the Tubos calabash design and that Negoita is also making them. Interesting stuff.

Micah
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Mike Messer wrote:How does this differ from the Peterson system pipes principle?
It doesn't really. It just takes it to an extreme. The air chamber is 3/4" in diameter and 1.5" deep. I've smoked two bowls in it so far and so far I'm impressed. I'm tasting flavors in the tobacco that I've not tasted before. I'm interested to see how it does once it's completely broken in and the raw briar flavors have faded. I can say one thing for sure and that is that it smokes very cool with no tongue bite at all. So far I've smoked Dan Tobacco's Hamborger Veermaster in it which is a Va. flake. I plan on smoking a MacBaren Va. in it. That will be the true test because they bite me like a rabid dog. If that doesn't bite in this pipe then I'm sold on the design as a Va. pipe.
Wayne Teipen
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Wayne, please do let me know how the VA works out. I might be interested in making myself one of these if you don't get bit.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Is that Corsica briar though?

:thumbsup:
Nate

Post by Nate »

Sasquatch wrote:Is that Corsica briar though?

:lol: He can't tell you Sas, he has a deal with someone ;)
mredmond
Site Supporter

Calabilliard

Post by mredmond »

I've never smoked a Peterson system pipe but I thought the idea was that the well collects moisture to keep things dry. Calabash designs are intended to let the smoke cool and mellow before it gets to the smoker. Maybe I'm off base, but they seem different to me, at least as far as intent goes.

Micah
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

The argument against such a system, and I think it was Pease who sort of brought it out clearly in one of his articles, is that if you are intentionally condensing smoke, you are also by nature of that process knocking some of the flavor-carrying water and oils out of said smoke. So it will possibly feel cooler, but you won't get quite as intense a flavor from a condensing pipe, or perhaps not quite as broad a spectrum of flavors.

In theory I agree with this, but in practice.... I'm not so sure I could tell a System pipe just by taste. I tell them from the way they gurgle. :twisted:
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Sasquatch wrote:Is that Corsica briar though?

Not only is it Corsican briar; it's fossilized prehistoric Corsican briar that you can't even purchase anymore without planar shifting abilities which I happen to possess. So, you can only purchase it through me. I'll sell you fellas a block for $200 a piece. Now, it looks and feels just like regular old briar but, trust me, it's far superior to anything you shmucks can get ahold of. :lol:
Wayne Teipen
taharris

Post by taharris »

wdteipen wrote:Sasquatch wrote:

Not only is it Corsican briar; it's fossilized prehistoric Corsican briar that you can't even purchase anymore without planar shifting abilities which I happen to possess. So, you can only purchase it through me. I'll sell you fellas a block for $200 a piece. Now, it looks and feels just like regular old briar but, trust me, it's far superior to anything you shmucks can get ahold of.
If you guys aren't careful you are going to make Mike cry, and then someone is going to have to give him a hug...

Not me, though. :P
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

taharris wrote:
wdteipen wrote:Sasquatch wrote:

Not only is it Corsican briar; it's fossilized prehistoric Corsican briar that you can't even purchase anymore without planar shifting abilities which I happen to possess. So, you can only purchase it through me. I'll sell you fellas a block for $200 a piece. Now, it looks and feels just like regular old briar but, trust me, it's far superior to anything you shmucks can get ahold of.
If you guys aren't careful you are going to make Mike cry, and then someone is going to have to give him a hug...

Not me, though. :P
That was more a jab at Julius Vesz and he's too old to cry. :lol:
Wayne Teipen