Tobacco Jar vs. Humidor?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
GBMorris

Tobacco Jar vs. Humidor?

Post by GBMorris »

Hello Folks,

On a recent trip to my local tobacconists' (Blatter & Blatter in Montreal), I noticed several large, beautifully painted tobacco jars that were on sale. They also have a substantial selection of cigars, and presumably humidors. It got me thinking, what is the difference between the characteristics of humidors and pipe tobacco jars? Humidors seem designed to keep cigars "humid", whereas jars seem to need to simply be airtight. (See this topic, for example: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4146 ) Why the difference?

Ultimately what I'm asking is, if I were going to make a pipe tobacco "jar" or storage container out of wood, are there any special requirements I should take into account?

Thanks and Best Regards,
Greg
Jack of all trades, master of one.
potholer

Re: Tobacco Jar vs. Humidor?

Post by potholer »

"Omne ignotum pro magnifico" - everything becomes common place by explanation :- sherlock holmes
GBMorris

Re: Tobacco Jar vs. Humidor?

Post by GBMorris »

Thanks Dave! That answered a lot of questions.

But I'm still wondering what makes cigar tobacco so different from pipe tobacco that such a different level of humidity is required for storage... Could it be the curing process or the type of tobacco used? I'm afraid I'm not much of a cigar smoker, or I'd probably have a better idea.

Cheers,
Greg
Jack of all trades, master of one.