"Anastasis"...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
JMG

"Anastasis"...

Post by JMG »

I set out to make a Cutty, but of course nothing went as planned and so I ended up with sort of a Billiard. I feel like this pipe is a step backwards from my last, but honestly, I'm just glad that the block was ruined all together. It ended up with pretty thin walls, but hopefully they aren't too thin. One of the biggest issues is that I should have left quite a bit more cheek all the way around. Also, the draft hole ended up about 1/16" off center. This block was, however, much kinder with the flaws the the last few I've dealt with.

Length: 5 1/2"
Bowl Height: 1 5/8"
Bowl Width: 1 1/8"
Chamber: 7/8"

"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Mike Messer

Re: "Anastasis"...

Post by Mike Messer »

Like you said, looks like the walls are pretty thin, about 1/8" thick (3.2 mm for you Euro-Guys). Maybe you could do a follow-up report, later, about how well they hold up, for reference purposes.
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

Very nice. Its still better then my first pipe.
Alden

Post by Alden »

I can see all of the issues you point out, I'm just not sure they are problems.
To me, I see a beautiful well made pipe.
I wouldn't think the walls are too thin to smoke, but probably too thin for some peoples expectations.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Thin walls = ultra light pipe. It's a selling feature for some folks. They'll hold up fine if the pipe is not smoked too hot, just like any pipe. I've got pipes with walls that thin, had 'em 20 years now.

Forgetting that you have a cutty-cum-billiard, addressing this as a billiard proper, the stem is about 1/2" too long - stem length = stummel length on those nice old dunhills. Likewise the shank is just a touch too long, or for the length, needs to be skinnier (to make the bowl seem higher).

Looks like the shank is (was) absolutely cylindrical, and the visual effect this has it that it looks a tiny bit fat right where the stem goes (optical illusion created by the taper of the stem). Slight taper on the shank reduces this. (top photo). Second photo shows more clearly that the shank started out cylindrical but that you rounded it over just a bit at the stem/shank junction - it tapers for 3/8" but then stops.

Bowl shape is pretty nice, transition to the shank is crisp, and the finish looks pretty good, although a lot of people prefer more contrast than you have achieved here. Symmetry looks good too.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!