Intro ??

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Alden

Intro ??

Post by Alden »

Hello all,
I didn't see a specific place for an intro, and hated to jump in here without some sort of hello first.
First of all, after reading through a few posts here, you guys are awesome.
Can't wait to spend some time around here, and I hope my pipes could someday be the works of art some of you guys are putting out there.
I really didn't know such pipes existed, until I read through the pipe in the hat trade! Wow, what inspiration there.
I haven't made my own pipe yet, but I have a background in sculpture and drawing and I'm hoping to translate some of that to briar.
I have two beautiful blocks of briar I have eyeballed for a few years, but put it off for lack of tools.
Now at 32 years old, I find myself at a crossroads in life, considering going back to school , and trying to figure out how to help support myself through the process.
I've always thought I could make beautiful pipes. I have inherited an eye for the natural flow of lines, balance and symmetry, and its time to see if my pipe dreams are just that, or if I can actually turn briar into art.
So, I ordered a couple of $25 Nording pipe kits, so tools are no longer an excuse. I wish I had waited, and talked to some of you guys for kits, but I'm certain its not the worst mistake I've ever made.
For the 2 of you that have read my rambling post so far, I'll add a bit more inconsequential crap about myself;
I live in Dallas Texas. I've been a landscaper, stone mason, ran a mailroom, been a courier for FedEx, imported exotic animals, sold vinyl siding, collected rattlesnakes for venom extraction, driven 700,000 miles in an 18 wheeler, married for 5 years, drink Miller Lite, fish in Matagorda Bay, hunt deer in the hill country, and belong to Spring Creek Community Church in Garland Texas.
And, I'm really looking forward to smoking my own pipes, even if I am never good enough to sell a pipe.
so, HOWDY, glad to be here.
Last edited by Alden on Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NathanA
Site Supporter

Re: Intro ??

Post by NathanA »

Its nice to have you here Edward. This is truly a great place to learn. There is a wealth of information already posted and some really knowledgeable pros and hobbyists willing to help. I also know that there are several members in your neck of the woods who might be able to give you some more hands-on help. Can't wait to see your first pipe. I wish I had taken the time to learn before I started carving like you are doing. Most of all, have fun!
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Miller Lite?
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Alden

Post by Alden »

Nathan; Thanks man, appreciate it.
Sasquatch; Pfffffttttt ! No. Miller Lite, what ?

:lol:
Nate

Post by Nate »

Welcome Edward! Glad you're here!
Alden

Post by Alden »

Thanks Nate.
I've been saving pictures of pipes that I like (but can't afford) for awhile now. Hopefully that will help with designing my pipes.
I picked the pipe kits from pictures, so I have a few ideas of what I'd like to do with the briar when it gets here.
And I'm trying to read through old threads here and soak up info.
LOTS to learn!
Nate

Post by Nate »

Edward wrote:Thanks Nate.
I've been saving pictures of pipes that I like (but can't afford) for awhile now. Hopefully that will help with designing my pipes.
I picked the pipe kits from pictures, so I have a few ideas of what I'd like to do with the briar when it gets here.
And I'm trying to read through old threads here and soak up info.
LOTS to learn!
Certainly is a lot to digest! But it has been most helpful to me. Searches on forums never tend to be great, but if you look around a little, you can find an answer to nearly every pipe question.
Alden

Post by Alden »

Yeah Nate, I'm browsing more than searching.
Reading the stickys, looking at pipe pics, reading the critiques.
I'm kinda staying away from the tooling part of it all. Its somewhat over my head and out of my budget at the moment.
I have a drill press, a cheap chinese lathe with a disc sander on the back of the motor, and a small band saw.
I have a little bit to start with, but first I just want to see what I can do with the disch sander and some files.
It should be an eye opener.
I still wish I had ordered the kits somewhere else. Its been a week now and it looks like pipesandcigars still hasn't shipped the kits out.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Get the briarchips flying!
Alden

Post by Alden »

Thanks Charl, thats the plan.
They JUST shipped my kits out yesterday,
so I'm trying to make sure I've got nothing to do this weekend but finish a pipe or two!
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

Nice to have you here, i look foreword to seeing some of your pipes! :D