05-11

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Nate

05-11

Post by Nate »

My 8th. First billiard, first time to work with bamboo and first full blast. The media blaster I have at work is less than nominal, so I may as well have just put sand in my mouth and blown it on the stummel, I'm sure the results would have been similar! :lol: I guess I got a very light 'shell' finish. I think the shank may be a little large for the bowl and the stem long, but this was a learning pipe. The really specific area I wish to have critiqued is the stummel shape. I think it is a little too far on the brandy side for my liking. I prefer a Dunhill, Rad, Teipen, etc. billiard shape. Of course, critique anything you'd like, I appreciate all of it.

JMG

Re: 05-11

Post by JMG »

I'm sending my pipes to you when I need pictures taken, :D Great work man...again, I'm really diggin' the offset saddle.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Nate wrote: I prefer a Dunhill, Rad, Teipen, etc. billiard shape.
Ah yes, the classic Dunhill-Rad-Teipen style certainly has its merits... although a Dunhill-Teipen would be FAR superior. ;)

I would add a touch more curve to the front of the bowl and try to make the back of the bowl mirror (or come pretty close to) the front of the bowl. Looks like the top 1/4" or so you do that, but it seems to drop in a straight line after that. I'd bring the back of the bowl a hair tighter in to make it feel more curved. Just my 2 cents.

For a first time working with bamboo, I'd say you did a good job.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

That's a beautiful piece of bamboo Nate, and worked very skillfully onto the pipe. I see the bevel on the rim as an echo of the transitional shape from bamboo to stummel (and maybe again in the shape of the saddle.

You're right - it's a little pudgy, the widest part of the bowl is low. That pipe is 52 and you want to make it 19. (suggested lines in red).

For a "classic" billiard, it's proportionately too long. On the picture, the bowl height is taken in blue, run along the stem for a "theoretical" stummel. Measure the length of that in yellow, and double it (in purple) and that's your "billiard" length. Now because of bamboo action etc yours is long. Fine. Make a long one - I don't give a shit. :lol: I think in this case, the thickness, the stout presentation of the bamboo is working against having a really long pipe though. All it winds up doing is making the shank seem really big, it's a little heavy compared to the bowl (or at least compared to the bowl if you really tighten it to billiard proper). So I see this as a battle between getting the shank length and thickness to present harmoniously with each other and against the bowl, and you didn't quite manage that here. But that's a really fussy criticism, and no one you show the pipe to is going to say "you know, I think that bamboo is a little fat for that bowl, ya know?"

I guess another way to say what I'm saying is that the pipe is neither stout nor delicate - it has elements of both, and I'd prefer it, it would have more "pow" if it went one way or the other.

But for a first bamboo effort, it's stupendous. Did you sleeve that bamboo or leave it "bamboo" inside?

PS not all sandblasts have to be Cooke-craggy. If you manage an even, pleasing texture, that's more important than winning some sort of trophy for depth. Not all stummels will take a real craggy blast (well) in the first place, and it takes time, skill and tools to do it. That's why it's special when it's done well. (And done NOT well, it ain't special at all). But not every pipe a guy makes on this journey is gonna be special. Some are just pipes, and I think that's fine.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Nate

Post by Nate »

e Markle wrote:
Nate wrote: I prefer a Dunhill, Rad, Teipen, etc. billiard shape.
Ah yes, the classic Dunhill-Rad-Teipen style certainly has its merits... although a Dunhill-Teipen would be FAR superior. ;)
:lol:
e Markle wrote:I would add a touch more curve to the front of the bowl and try to make the back of the bowl mirror (or come pretty close to) the front of the bowl. Looks like the top 1/4" or so you do that, but it seems to drop in a straight line after that. I'd bring the back of the bowl a hair tighter in to make it feel more curved. Just my 2 cents.

For a first time working with bamboo, I'd say you did a good job.
Thanks e Markle! I think you are correct, and Todd gave a visual example of what you noted. It is interesting looking at all the 'different' billiards you can find. All have the billiardy shape, but they all differ slightly, especially on the back of the bowl. Thanks again for your 2¢, I will put that knowledge in the next!
Nate

Post by Nate »

Sasquatch wrote:<Snip>...Did you sleeve that bamboo or leave it "bamboo" inside?...
I used a stainless steel tube on the forward section and used the ebonite 'mortise' for the aft section. The drilling is not perfect, but I don't imagine it will hinder smoking it.

Thank you for the critiques and compliments Todd, I am very appreciative. I see more clearly now the proportions and where I missed. I guess I'll consider this a lovat :) I'll add the info to my next effort!!
Nate

Post by Nate »

JMG wrote:I'm sending my pipes to you when I need pictures taken, :D Great work man...again, I'm really diggin' the offset saddle.
Thanks John! It's my first venture into an 'artistic' stem.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Nate wrote: Thanks e Markle! I think you are correct, and Todd gave a visual example of what you noted.
Why yes he did! As usual his critique was both more comprehensive and helpful than mine. I've decided to be bitter about it. :)
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Don't go away mad, Ernie.

Just go away. :lol:
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I don't see a ton wrong with the bowl shape. What I do see is that both the briar and bamboo parts of the shank need to be shorter at the bowl end, and the bamboo needs to be shorter at the stem end. This will make your pipe look more "right".

Nice job on the bamboo connections. :)

Rad
Nate

Post by Nate »

RadDavis wrote:I don't see a ton wrong with the bowl shape. What I do see is that both the briar and bamboo parts of the shank need to be shorter at the bowl end, and the bamboo needs to be shorter at the stem end. This will make your pipe look more "right".

Nice job on the bamboo connections. :)

Rad
I gotcha Rad, I will put that in effect on the next. Thanks for the advice and compliment!!
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

@ Nate

Very nice pipe Nate!

You, along with several others on this forum, have very good pipe crafting skills!
Nate

Post by Nate »

Boekweg wrote:@ Nate

Very nice pipe Nate!

You, along with several others on this forum, have very good pipe crafting skills!
Thanks Boekweg, I appreciate it!
Abi Natur

Post by Abi Natur »

Hi Nate,
I'll leave the metaphysics of pipe-making to the learned comrades,so I'll just share my plane impression on this late Bamboo works.
Elegant with an essential shaping that has integrated the bamboo beautifully .The bamboo stem &shank transition is carved very intimately and in harmony.
Distinguished is the word!

Abi
" Keep it simple until it gets complicated "

http://www.canaanpipes.com/
Nate

Post by Nate »

Abi Natur wrote:Hi Nate,
I'll leave the metaphysics of pipe-making to the learned comrades,so I'll just share my plane impression on this late Bamboo works.
Elegant with an essential shaping that has integrated the bamboo beautifully .The bamboo stem &shank transition is carved very intimately and in harmony.
Distinguished is the word!

Abi
Thank you very much Abi! I appreciate your comments. :)
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

I see what you mean about the bandy, but it is just a tiny bit that, and not a problem to me. I don't see any problem with the length, either. There are no precise standards, as I see it, but some things do tend to look better than others, and sometimes, it's just personal preference.
I think it's a great looking pipe, as is. I like the deep channel in the wood and ebonite -to- bamboo fitting, stem sculpting, blast, finish, name it.
The only thing which might be marginal to me is the lighter reddish bowl top, and I like the bamboo a bit cleaner looking, but I think this is just my personal preference.
Great pipe!
M.M.
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

Personally, I love this type of blast. It's just classy looking and feels great in the hand. Beautiful.
Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com
Nate

Post by Nate »

bandkbrooks wrote:Personally, I love this type of blast. It's just classy looking and feels great in the hand. Beautiful.
Thanks Brandon! It is growing on me :) I like the feel and the way the two-tone worked out.