Tried Something New

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
taharris

Tried Something New

Post by taharris »

I call it Water Drop.

At least that is what I was going for. This is a shape I have never seen before and I thought it would look cool.

I would really like everyone's opinions and critiques. I will go first. I am pretty happy with the stemmel shape, although I wish I could have refined the inside curve more, but I was dangerously close to sanding into the draft hole. Also, I am not at all happy with the stem. I started out with a longer stem, but it didn't look right so I shortened it. It still doesn't look right. :banghead: Please help.

Thanks for looking.
hawky454

Re: Tried Something New

Post by hawky454 »

Very nice. Who knows? Maybe you've just created a new genre of pipe shapes? My only concern, is that it looks heavy. How much does it weigh? As you well know, I'm in know way knowledgeable enough to give you proper critique. Just wanted to share my thoughts! Me likey very much.
Go hang a salami I'm a lasagna hog.
taharris

Post by taharris »

hawky454 wrote:it looks heavy. How much does it weigh?
1.2 ounces and it actually feels quite light in the teeth.

Thanks.
hawky454

Post by hawky454 »

Nice man....than I really like it. Much lighter than I thought.
Go hang a salami I'm a lasagna hog.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

The shank jars me. It's got a section that is basically cylindrical, and then the stem droops away and the bowl droops away. I think it would look a lot more composed if the shank had a nice curve to it (and this is tricky through the mortise transition).

ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
taharris

Post by taharris »

Sas,

You are absolutely correct.

What you drew is exactally what I was going for, but I ran out of material inside the stem of the pipe.

Do you think the overall concept of the design is solid enough that I should try it again someday?
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Oh I do think so yeah. Have a look at Vesz's "teardrop" type shape. You are headed in that direction but with a more "hawkbill" type stem. I think it works fine if you drill the stummel in a more bent configuration.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
mredmond
Site Supporter

Tried Something New

Post by mredmond »

Yuki Tokutomi also makes an interesting tear drop shape. It's quite a bit different than yours, but it might give you ideas. Have fun developing the shape!

Micah
taharris

Post by taharris »

Thanks guys.

I appreciate the information and the encouragement.