Zulu

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
TRS
Site Supporter

Zulu

Post by TRS »

My first one finished in a long time. Time constraints and catastrophic procedural failures had all but stopped my pipemaking. This one's the first I've been able to call a pipe in awhile. My slot, while functional, is quite ugly; this has proved to be a trouble area for me and is something I'm working on. Critiques welcome and encouraged! Thanks all

Tim
Boekweg

Re: Zulu

Post by Boekweg »

Tim,
imo, that is a nice looking pipe.

Man i see some of these pipes you guys have on here (that look very nice imo) and talk about all these flaws on them and things like that, but they all blow my 1st. pipe out of the water! if you guys are going to critique nice looking pipes (imo) like that. then my 1st pipe must look like a piece of crap to you guys lol.
JMG

Post by JMG »

I like the chamfer on the bowl. The finish you got looks nice, but since there isn't any great amount of grain it may have served well to do a bit more contrast with what's there. The bend in the stem and overall proportions of the pipe looks near perfect to me.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
hawky454

Post by hawky454 »

I love it. I actually bought a pipe a while ago that looks very similar to that.
Go hang a salami I'm a lasagna hog.
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Thanks guys!

@JMG : Yeah, I'm using 'practice' blocks that I've been buying, which don't have much to speak of as far as grain. I used dark brown with a couple drops of black for my initial stainings. While the pipe looks a little more dynamic in-the-hands, you're right, it could have more contrast. Black next time. The total finishing process is another thing I'm practicing at, which is why I've been just finishing all of my pipes smooth, no matter the grain or flaws.
JMG

Post by JMG »

BeatusLiebowitz wrote:Thanks guys!

@JMG : Yeah, I'm using 'practice' blocks that I've been buying, which don't have much to speak of as far as grain. I used dark brown with a couple drops of black for my initial stainings. While the pipe looks a little more dynamic in-the-hands, you're right, it could have more contrast. Black next time. The total finishing process is another thing I'm practicing at, which is why I've been just finishing all of my pipes smooth, no matter the grain or flaws.
I've been doing pretty much the same. Unless, there are some exponential flaws, I've been finishing smooth as well just to practice my finishing techniques. However you are doing yours is looking really nice, though.

e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Nice pipe. I prefer a bit more curve to the sides of the bowl. I think the shank/stem have a nice flow, but I might have cleaned up the bowl/shank transition. I agree with JMG, I'd definitely contrast stain that. It's very rare that I'd prefer such a low contrast to the stain (maybe that's just me?). Oh, and I dig the dramatic bevel to the bowl.

Are you cutting your own stems? The button seems a bit long for my taste, but you should take a few pics of the slot so we can see it up close.

em

PS your new avatar is utterly terrifying. I miss the dark crystal thingy.
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Thanks for the comments Ernie! I agree about the bowl/shank; it's an area I worked on for a long time on this pipe. I would get it to a point I liked, but later I'd be looking at it and start digging away again. I can see how it could use more refining. I am cutting my own stems; as for the button, in which dimension does it seem too long? On this pipe I was using up some 'cheaper' materials and the stem is cut from a piece of 1/2" vulcanite rod. It's only 1/2" across, maybe a tiny bit less. But I guess you said long, and not wide. I probably should be making them shorter. Buttons and slots are definitely the focus of my practicing right now. Thanks again, appreciate the advice!

Oh, and Fizzgig had to step down. Now is the time of the Tart Toter!!!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Tim I'd say the button is too long - it's too long for me, anyhow, I have really started to prefer a button that is only 1/16" or so front to back - any longer seems to really feel big in my teeth. Making it shorter front to back also means that it has more "buttontronic" action, which is to say that it will allow more tooth-grip with a less high button.

I like the pipe, it's a little chubby overall I guess but I'm one to talk, huh? I think what's throwing a lot of questions about the shaping is that the shank is just a bit too tapered. If it was a little less so, the bowl transition would be better and the curve along the top of the pipe better as well.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

It's hard to tell from the pics, but is the shank oval? That's sort of a requirement for a classic Zulu.

Rad
JMG

Post by JMG »

RadDavis wrote:It's hard to tell from the pics, but is the shank oval? That's sort of a requirement for a classic Zulu.

Rad
Don't listen to Rad...he's from bama. Those guys don't know squat about squat...not like us Mississippi guys.

TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

RadDavis wrote:It's hard to tell from the pics, but is the shank oval? That's sort of a requirement for a classic Zulu.

Rad
No, it's not. I gave this a subject some thought though. I wasn't quite confident enough to try shaping a freehand oval and I don't own an ellipse template to make a guideline with. I'm remedying that quickly though.