bent rusticated pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
billiard

bent rusticated pipe

Post by billiard »

On the above photos I used the "auto correct" thingie that makes the black pretty much match what the black looks like to the naked eye but when I did it to the last pic it seems to have darkened right around the drilling so I am also including the non-auto corrected version of that pic so no one thinks I am dip staining or anything like that:

Pipe specs:
5 & 3/4" total length
1 & 7/8 " outer bowl height
3/4" bowl , drilling 11/64"

I got the tenon end butt up against the mortise wall and then a little ramp on the mortise floor so a pipe cleaner passes nicely all the way through the different angle of airway and mortise. Usually I need to be satisified with a little well in there instead so I am pretty happy with that aspect of the pipe. Th elirrle ramp dealie looks a little rough up close but it works good so I dare not try to file it more.

A long wat to go yet but my customer (that's me) is thrilled with it :)

PS, I went through 23 buffing wheels to buff the carnauba into that rustification, lol ;)

Thanks much for looking at my pipe,
Bill(iard)
Sasquatch

Re: bent rusticated pipe

Post by Sasquatch »

I like your rustication Bill and the overall shape - looks to me like you "see" the trick to visual balance (and physical balance) on a bent, namely, that the "lowest point" of the shape is NOT centered with the chamber, looking from the side.

I'd suggest a smoother bend, and the pipe looks better to me if I cover up the last half-inch or so of stem, so that tells me it's maybe just a hair long for the stummel.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

That is a really nice pipe Bill. It almost looks like you turned a piece of asphalt into a pipe! :D Im trying to work on my shank/bowl transition right now. it looks you got it figured out. 8)
billiard

Post by billiard »

Thanks very much Sas I appreciate it coming from you.

On the stem bend, yeah you are absolutely correct there. Truth be told I went and bought myself one of them hot air guns from home depot and this was my first attempt to bend a stem using it, when I first tried bending it, it just bent right there poof instantly and there it was, done. I should have heated it back up and tried making it more graceful but I figured I would call it good enough and practice on some of the stems I made that are not good enough to use on pipes before trying it again in the "production environment" for lack of better words.

Thanks much Boekweg. I could have done a much more even job with the rustification but I was hiding the grand canyon :lol: One of these days I am going to hand rusticate like that a non-flawed briar, just some ebauchon without enough grain to worry about and see how I can do I think that rustification might look really nice in a light brown.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

That's not bad. A couple things I see and suggest: in the last two pics it looks like the shank leaves the bowl at an angle canted to the right. It may be a weird photo angle or something so if so disregard. The other thing I would suggest trying with deep rustication is to leave a bit more briar on the shank near the bowl and gradually lighten the depth of the rustication as you near the stem. This will ease the transition between the stem and shank a bit better.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
billiard

Post by billiard »

wdteipen wrote:That's not bad. A couple things I see and suggest: in the last two pics it looks like the shank leaves the bowl at an angle canted to the right. It may be a weird photo angle or something so if so disregard.
Yeah that's just the angle or something, it's nice and straight.
wdteipen wrote: The other thing I would suggest trying with deep rustication is to leave a bit more briar on the shank near the bowl and gradually lighten the depth of the rustication as you near the stem. This will ease the transition between the stem and shank a bit better.
That makes a lot of sense, thanks very much for this tip, I will try to do this on my next rusticated one.

Thanks again,
Bill
billiard

Post by billiard »

Hey guys thanks again for the feedback on this pipe.

Exempting the full bent I posted I haven't hade any chance at all to make new pipes but today I had a customer cancellation mid-work day, and for once I was caught up on my paper work. I was looking at some of the pipes I still have laying around unsmoked debating what to puff on and saw this one, remembered Sas saying:
Sasquatch wrote:I'd suggest a smoother bend, and the pipe looks better to me if I cover up the last half-inch or so of stem, so that tells me it's maybe just a hair long for the stummel.
So I figured if I hurried I could squeeze it in before my next customer and here is the result (Something wrong with the exposure or something in the pic but nonetheless)

Before:
After:

Thanks again and now back to work I go.
Bill

Edit PS: yeah I got some stem on the rim when restaining. I will either sand it out if I opt to sell to a friend, or just smoke it out if it is destined for me ;)
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

Very cool looking pipe.
----------------------
Boekweg wrote:That is a really nice pipe Bill. It almost looks like you turned a piece of asphalt into a pipe! :D Im trying to work on my shank/bowl transition right now. it looks you got it figured out. 8)
I had the same thought when I first saw the pipe..asphalt. I have a big chunk of asphalt on my living room table from the recent repaving of my street, and there is a definite similarity.
----------------------
wdteipen wrote: ... The other thing I would suggest trying with deep rustication is to leave a bit more briar on the shank near the bowl and gradually lighten the depth of the rustication as you near the stem. This will ease the transition between the stem and shank a bit better.
Ditto, the diameter change between the rusticated and the smooth end of the shank is a bit bothersome, but I'm not sure if lightening the depth of rustication is the best idea. I can't say for sure how hard it would be to do this, but my thought was to leave more briar at the end of the rusticated part of the shank so the diameters don't change at the transition to the smooth part... or maybe a combination of the two ideas.
-----------------------

But, I repeat, Very cool looking pipe. I really like the deep rustication and the black asphalt-like look.
M.M.
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

Oh yeah. The bend looks so much better now. Have you tried melting the wax into the rustication. I think there are some instructions here on the forum.

By the way "Dip stain" sounds like a euphemism for some type of illicit activity.
Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com
billiard

Post by billiard »

Thanks Mike,

Between you and Boekweg here, and another guy in a PM on SF, that's 3 folks now who have said this looks like "Asphalt" so that's what I am going to call this rustification: my Asphalt finish :)

I think I know how to correct the change in size for the smooth to rustificated shank transition with deep crags, but I think to get it exactly right I would need to intead on rustificating the pipe (not rusticating to hide flaws) so that I have enough meat left to play with in the right parts. I intend to rusticate a pipe that doesn't need it anyhow soon, since I would like to try one that is not hiding any big flaws, so I will try that when I do.
bandkbrooks wrote:Have you tried melting the wax into the rustication. I think there are some instructions here on the forum.
Thanks Brandon,

I use a pasty wax\shoe shine brush and find that two coats with a rest between work really well on craggy rustifications, and in my personal smokers it has held up really well. Perhaps now that I have a heat gun I will try the melted wax again, but I do like the results my current approach gives me.

Thanks again guys, the pipe looks a whole bunch better after the tips and I hope the next one will show more improvement.

Bill
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Mike Messer wrote: I have a big chunk of asphalt on my living room table from the recent repaving of my street, and there is a definite similarity.
So many questions...
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :?:
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

e Markle wrote:
Mike Messer wrote: I have a big chunk of asphalt on my living room table from the recent repaving of my street, and there is a definite similarity.
So many questions...
e Remarkable, you have so much to learn. An artist gains inspiration from their visual experiences, as with a smelly chunk of asphalt. Not only do rocks with a tar binder add beauty to an abode, but will mask the stink of smelly ebonite and flatulence.
I see something on the horizon and it will be named 123 Elm Street. Yes, an asphalt rusticated pipe. Most likely it will be hideous and will carry a price tag of $6,501.
If it were me, I would take a pipe that I had already made, say one with an ugly crater, rusticate, then name it "Pot Hole".
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

...sniker...
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
Traderbob

Post by Traderbob »