Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Charl

Post by Charl »

After about 3 1/2 years of pipemaking :oops: I eventually had the chance to do my first blast! Let me know what you think.
JMG

Re: #1105

Post by JMG »

While I am not a van of the volcano style, I still recognize that you did a wonderful job on this pipe. Congrats on the inaugural blast. Also, in my opinion, I don't think you could have chosen a better stem. The color and pattern of this one fits the pipe perfectly. Well done.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

Very nice indeed! I hope to be that good someday. :notworthy:

PS. I just carved my first pipe and would like to post it, but i cant figure out how you guys are doing this? :(
android

Post by android »

well done sir. i think the blast looks spot on, maybe a little more intense on one side, but that's splitting hairs.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Nice work! I do like the blast, good job for the first! I also like the chin you allowed by your shaping of the volcano style, looks like a sleekcano!
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

where is a good place for me to purchase stems like that? :?:
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Ya gotta make 'em yourself. ;)

That stem was made from a piece of round brindle ebonite called cumberland. It's a skill that every pipe maker eventually needs to learn.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

Ya, i figured i have to make them but i was just wondering where to purchase that type of material. I would love to start making my own stems. I just need the materials. :D
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Pipemaker's Emporium sells that style of Cumberland rod stock.

I'm not a fan of the volcano shape either but that is a very well made pipe. I can't find anything that I don't like about the execution, fit, and finish. Very nice work. :thumbsup:
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Abi Natur

Post by Abi Natur »

Comrade Charl,
looking great man,i really like how this Vulcano is flowing and the blast is like Lava,you,ll sell this one in a niffy!

Congrats, :thumbsup:
Abi
" Keep it simple until it gets complicated "

http://www.canaanpipes.com/
Charl

Post by Charl »

Thanks, guys. I suppose being a pipemaker means that you'll never be entirely satisfied with a pipe. :lol: On this one the symmetry to my eye seems to be out a tad.
And then the photos are still giving me trouble as well. Regularly available bulbs only go as high as 4000K. I did manage to get a fluorescent with higher K, but now I'm sitting with a tube for which I can't get a lightfitting!