dublin thing

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
bregolad

dublin thing

Post by bregolad »

Let me know what you think :)

J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com
Sasquatch

Re: dublin thing

Post by Sasquatch »

I think you need to look harder at your wood before you decide what the pipe is, and where. That's a viable block, but it needed to be cut down a bit - looks to me like the area near the surface of the block was pretty well full of fissures.

The flare on the stem is really abrupt - doesn't match the curve on the rim, for example. And doing the rim by hand like that... well, you can see where it's a little out of whack.

But I like the shape and I like the idea and the proportions of the pipe.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
bregolad

Post by bregolad »

Unfortunately, the fissures run all the way through the grain :( But I see your point.

could you be more specific as to the abrupt flare though? this was my first one, and I did it by chucking the tenon in the drill press, so there's definitely room for improvement.
J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

All I'm saying with the flare is that the stem curves out very abrubtly, and no lines on that match the smooth easy flow of the pipe. I took (as one possible curve to match) the top curve in the rim (in yellow) and indicated that curve with a yellow line on the shank. If you followed that the pipe would be more harmonious, I think. (Compare to the purple line, which is a little unfair, but shows the abrupt stopping point of the line of the shank and the quick little flare out on the saddle).

ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
bregolad

Post by bregolad »

I know everyone thinks this (and sometimes says), but thank you Todd for your microsoft paint critiques. They are some of the most helpful I've ever recieved.
J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com