First Kit Pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
DOMD

First Kit Pipe

Post by DOMD »

Heres my first kit pipe. I still have a couple things to sand/buff and its almost done. I'm also waiting for the carnuba wax I ordered to get here... What do you think?

(yeah I know theres a gap where the stem goes in. The wood really fought me at times!)

maxmil

Re: First Kit Pipe

Post by maxmil »

Compare it with what's on the web, and judge for yourself.
A pipe is like a painting. A painter as most see in museums, better
Greetings.
Felix

Compárala con lo que hay por la web, y juzga por ti mismo.
Una pipa es como una pintura. Un pintor cuanto mas vea en los museos, mejor
Saludos.
Félix
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

How old was the kit? Looks like the stem is pretty badly oxydized in places.

It's a first.... go do a second.

I'm not fond of the mixture of a round stem with the square shank, and the whole thing is real heavy, just like all first pipes. :D
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

I can't really say much, i have yet to carve my 1st pipe. I have a kit coming from Pimo's. Hopefully its in the box today. I need to go check. I cant wait to get started on it. But if you ask me, I think all 1st pipes are going to look like 1st pipes lol. I think its just going to be a matter of carving your 1st pipe and then stepping back and saying, "ok, this is what to do, and this is what not to do" the next time around. Keep up the good work and keep moving foreword! :D
DOMD

Post by DOMD »

I think you will really like it I'm currently working on another (Pre drilled block from Norwoods Pipe Repair). I have also learned about imperfections in the wood Which is an major downside to this hobby.
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

Hey, i got my 1st pipe kit today! (Pimo's Ebauchon/bent) Although i must say, im a bit disappointed :( I ordered the Muslin Buff, Sewn Buff and Flannel Buff. (and an arbor for each of course) I received them of course, but it does not say which is which? You know? Like which is the Muslin buff, which is the Sewn Buff and which is the Flannel Buff. I figured they would be marked or something. I also ordered Cherry stain, Dark walnut stain, Black stain and Brown Mahogany stain. That came too of course, but i was disappointed in how it came. It came in a very tiny manila envelope with a little bit of powdered stain at the bottom. I guess i was just expecting it to look different, thats all. I also ordered the book "Pimo's Guide To Pipe Crafting at Home" which came too, it all came. I also ordered the Carnauba wax and the tripoli compound. Over all, i am excited and cant wait to carve my 1st pipe. :D

PS. I also have a 200 piece dremel kit that came with some reddish/brownish buffing compound. It does not say what kind of buffing compound it is. I was just wondering if it could be used on the pipe? . . . . Any body?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Do yourself a favor, and light a pipe and read the book. Some of your questions will be answered - though I admit you might have more when you're finished.

The buffing compound in the dremel kit is, IIRC, jewelers rouge. It is not really what I would recommend, especially since you have the tripoli from PIMO.

The flannel buff will be loose and thready, the sewn buff will be sewn near the edge, and the flannel buff is, I think, only one row of sewing near the hole. It's been a very, very long time since I ordered the PIMO buffs though, so I could be mistaken.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

PIMO buffs - the one sewn all the way in a spiral. Same material as the unsewn one but it provides a stiffer wheel. I use both a sewn an unsewn one for tripoli. The big fat puffy one is in theory the flannel one if I remember right. So in the PIMO scheme, I think they recommend the unsewn muslin for tripoli, the sewn for wax and the flannel for final buffing.

I wound up ordering another unsewn muslin right away for using White Diamond polish on, and another for applying wax. :D
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

Thanks so much for the info guys. Now, . . . . I have allot of reading to do. 8)