Horn...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
ND Pipes

Horn...

Post by ND Pipes »

Horn....
briar with olive wood and an ebonite mouthpiece....

"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
maxmil

Re: Horn...

Post by maxmil »

A very original design and good execution.
You could have contrasting the grain
Regards.
Felix

Un diseño muy original, y buena ejecución.
Podías haber contrastado la veta.
Saludos.
Félix
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

:) thank you... almost allways i am using some stains on my pipes... so, here, to make a bit differently i wanted to go clear :) no stains on this one... briar is nice... only one small dot so, stains not needed here :) ... besides, i just cleaned my buffing wheel for some clear pipes to be cleared and made like new again... :) heheheeh...

Jos

Post by Jos »

Hi Daniel,

nice shape once again, and well executed.
To add some criticism, I would've suggested to make the tail fin some bigger, and sand it thinner.
Also, I suggest to give the stem a slight bend.

Regards, Jens
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

:) i wanted to make the tail thinner but olive wood is there and i am not sure how this would work longterm (not to damage it easy)... this way is more secure....
Jos, if you look carefuly, you will notice that bending the stem would ruin the whole piece...
i know bending is usual for horns but here the tenon is drilled very low and bending is not an option.. at the same time, here, the drafthole is perfectly straight which is in my opinion a positive thing... :)

RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

You've entered the shank at the wrong angle with your stem. If the angle of the stem were raised a bit and the stem bent, it would have a much better flow.

Also, that dark line between the briar and olive looks like a glue line. Is that what it is? I ask because in the pics it looks much thinner on the bottom side.

Rad
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

RadDavis wrote:You've entered the shank at the wrong angle with your stem. If the angle of the stem were raised a bit and the stem bent, it would have a much better flow.

I agree = bent or straight I don't care, but the thing would look better cranked in about 10 degrees higher.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

i agree with you guys... it would be better if the angle was raised more...
when i was drilling the mortise, i was carefull not to mess that angle up.. but apparently i did a bit... so, after deciding what to do, i concluded that the straight mouthpiece was the best choice (other than removing the olive wood and making it again...)... when i look at it now, it does not look that bad... kind of different than other horns.. not perfect but good... don't you think...
related glue... it is a line of glue... i wanted to have the line thicker to sort of separate the olive pattern from the briar pattern as i wanted to have the pipe in it's natural colours... and you have a great eye Rad... it is a tiny bit thinner on the bottom side...

RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

related glue... it is a line of glue... i wanted to have the line thicker to sort of separate the olive pattern from the briar pattern as i wanted to have the pipe in it's natural colours... and you have a great eye Rad... it is a tiny bit thinner on the bottom side...
For what it's worth, glue lines are a no-no. If you want to separate the two woods, use a thin slice of ebonite or something else, like faux horn, ivory, etc.

Then it looks like you did it on purpose. :wink:

Rad
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

thank you Rad for the tip... some guys were telling me that i tend to complicate things with to many rings and stuff so i tried to make it simple with two pieces of wood and a layer of glue... if you asked me, i would put there a piece of acryl or ebonite, glue it together with those two wooden pieces and story finished :P hheheheheh... it seems i had to do just that....
:) o.k. from now on - only what i think is best... :) hopefully it will be :P :P :P :P

but to be honnest - it is not a bad pipe right???
from the comments it seems that it is not to good either...?

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

That's exactly where I would rank it. It's not bad in a bunch of ways - the lines of the stummel are not bad at all in my opinion, the curves are nice, the overall shape is pleasing. The stem angle is simply not right and that's because it leaves you with the impression that the stem angle is nothing to do with the curves or overall shape of the pipe. A snail with a stick rammed down it's throat, to put it one way. If the sweeping shape of that stummel is carried on with the stem with a little grace, rather than the stem just being a hard line angling off of a flowing curve.

Part of the angle situation is that the stem looks like it ALMOST wants to come out the other side, in the middle of the curve, rather than pointing down along the curve. You COULD use that angle but it would have to enter the pipe 1/2" lower down.

I drew in a couple stems - the colored lines indicate the center of the shank and the approximate angle it's at. So the angle of your stem works, but it's well off-cneter of the line in the pipe that is at that angle (if that makes sense). Drop your stem 1/2" and it is now lined up with the pipe, so to speak. OR you can put the stem in higher along the curve, but again, to look right, it needs to continue some line of the pipe (I popped a curved stem on this time because the angle is enough to need a bend now). It's not that either of these ideas is right or wrong, but the execution of the idea, the composition of the pipe depends on it.

That's my take on it anyhow.

It's much much easier to get some little thing "off" than every little thing "on" with such a pipe, and that's why the masters are masters. But it takes a lot of practice, which is what you are doing.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

thanks Sas... the lower option is the exact one i was going for... it turned out i got it a bit higher than i wanted... i saw that after the pipe started to take final shape and then it was to late to do anything... i simply got the drilling up more than needed (for about 1/2 of an inch like you said)... perfect to the point.......