My First.......

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Bahnzo

My First.......

Post by Bahnzo »

My first ever pipe. Not my "first pipe because the others I made were garbage and don't count", but my very first. Made from a pre-drilled block w/stem from PIMO. Shaped with a saw, rasps and files, lots of sandpaper, and buffed with a power drill. I didn't have any of the leather dyes that people talk about, so I used Trans-tint dyes (I really dislike powered dyes, and I have some various TransTint in the cabinet) with denatured alcohol. You have to mix it stronger than you normally would for regular wood use, but I think they are fine.

I have to admit it turned out much better than I had hoped. It's got a LOT to criticize, but it's mine and if first impressions are anything, it smokes pretty darn good.

My own critical impressions:
I tried to cut the bottom so it would sit back, and didn't take into account the stem would weigh it forward. It still sits fine, but I wish I would've realized that and left it flat.

I really need to work on shaping around the connection of the stem to the bowl. It's not ugly, but I could've done a better job if I would've thought ahead and left myself more briar to work with.

General shaping...I need to leave more briar and do the final shaping with sandpaper. I started with 220 and really should've used less rasp and file and done the final shaping with 80 grit. I hate sanding, but it's a necessary evil here I guess to someone that doesn't have a lathe.

Polish: it seemed to go well with the wheels chucked into a hand drill. But it seemed to be the carnuba didn't take well enough to the buff. I'm sure it was there because the stem buffed up nicely after the tripoli, but it doesn't shine as much as I've seen on other pipes.

Pics: looks a little darker than it actually is in the pics...

Comments, criticism, tips and hints, etc.......
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: My First.......

Post by KurtHuhn »

For a first pipe, that's pretty respectable. Now go make another! :D
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Bahnzo wrote: I hate sanding.
You're taking up the wrong hobby.

:lol: :lol:

Nice pipe...really.
Abi Natur

Post by Abi Natur »

Say',that's a nice pipe you got there !
" Keep it simple until it gets complicated "

http://www.canaanpipes.com/
Bahnzo

Post by Bahnzo »

Abi Natur wrote:Say',that's a nice pipe you got there !
That's what she said.....