Starting from scratch

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
msheppard666

Starting from scratch

Post by msheppard666 »

It has been a while since I have posted anything. I have been saving up to procure tools and materials. After a long delay I present my third attempt at a pipe from scratch. Please destroy my illusions of getting better at this.

and here a shot of my attempt at stem craft

ND Pipes

Re: Starting from scratch

Post by ND Pipes »

shank looks a bit heavy but overall a nice pipe... :) maybe would be better to use a full saddle on a mouthpiece... :)
it looks very solid and kind of heavy - like the pipe that will forgive you a lot... like it... :)
"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
JMG

Post by JMG »

I'm very new to pipe making as well, so take any advice from me with a grain of salt. First off, really nice effort for a third pipe...much better than my own. There seems to be a dip in the bottom of the bowl near the shank. You might could try removing some more material there (if you have enough to play with.) Also, I see one "problem" that I still struggle with and I think it was Wayne Teipen who gave me some advice that has helped. It looks like the top of the bowl near the rim gets a little rounded instead of having more crisp lines. Try using a rasp of file around there to keep from having that rounded appearance. Also, I'd second the idea about using a full saddle on this pipe.

But man, overall a very nice third attempt. Well done.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

You can make the business-end of the stem much thinner if you cut a deeper slot - this requires tiny files, possibly a razor saw, but the result is that you are 1/16" tall for a lot further in, which allows a much thinner bit.

The pipe looks as 3rd pipes are likely to do. Certain areas are a little heavy, certain lines are a little uncertain.

I'm going to agree with tNd here - there's no visual benefit to the half saddle. This is an aggressivley shaped pipe with lots of angles and edges, so continue on in that vein and do a full saddle bit.

More material could come out of the heel to give the bowl a more uniform shape/curve - it may or may not be possible depending on where your chamber is, but I'd guess you could tighten up the bottom quite a bit - it's a little chin-heavy.

Your stem/shank joint looks really good, and overall, the carving bold and harmonious.

So.... go do another!
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!