2nd and 3rd Billiard

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
DaGamba

2nd and 3rd Billiard

Post by DaGamba »

So, scary moment! :D I tried my hands on the Billiard. The first one I gave away to my neighbor and forgot to take pics of before. But here's the 2nd and 3rd. The rusticated is the 3rd one and I'm personally more happy about that. Any comments are welcome!

2nd

3rd

Thanks for looking,

Pär
wdteipen

Re: 2nd and 3rd Billiard

Post by wdteipen »

These look pretty nice overall but I would say the bowl height being a bit short for a billiard makes them look more like pot shapes to me. The saddle on the 1st one looks off. The top and bottom should mirror each other. You also have a nice long, straight shank that tapers gracefully and then a stem that flares leaving the stem looking like it doesn't belong on this pipe.

The second pipe looks nice. I like the rustication. It's elegant, uniform and not overstated. The bowl shape is right on and if it were maybe an 1/8" taller it would be a very handsome billiard. The only other thing I see is that the stem angles downward from the shank. I wonder what it would look like if you turned the stem 180 degrees.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
DaGamba

Post by DaGamba »

Thanks for your comments, Wayne.
wdteipen wrote:I wonder what it would look like if you turned the stem 180 degrees.
As you might have guessed already, it looks like shit! I have a big problem shaping stems. Would it be better to shape the stem separately, trying to make it symmetric, than shape it together with the rest of the pipe?
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

DaGamba wrote:Thanks for your comments, Wayne.
wdteipen wrote:I wonder what it would look like if you turned the stem 180 degrees.
As you might have guessed already, it looks like shit! I have a big problem shaping stems. Would it be better to shape the stem separately, trying to make it symmetric, than shape it together with the rest of the pipe?

No, shaping the stem separate from the rest of the pipe creates a whole new set of problems. After looking at it again, I see that the stem problem is most likely due to your shank not being faced perpendicular. You can really see it in the second picture. It's a couple degrees off which causes the stem to angle slightly downward.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com