First pipe of the New Year

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
wdteipen

First pipe of the New Year

Post by wdteipen »

I finished this pipe this morning. I had hopes for a smooth finish but it had too many tiny sand specks that I couldn't make go away. With this pipe I focused on scaling things down a bit since up to this point all of my pipes have been a bit on the large side (group 4 or 5.) This one is a group 3 in size. I'm also working on sandblasting technique. I'm having a bit of difficulty getting an even blast in spots where the briar is harder. It's strange how there are spots in the same peice of wood that blast differently than the rest of the pipe. Anyway, I'd love some honest critics.

Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Sasquatch

Re: First pipe of the New Year

Post by Sasquatch »

Wow, day 1 and Wayne's already got a pipe out. Grr!

I like the bowl shape and the overall proportions. I almost think the bowl/stem transition could be a bit tighter yet on a pipe this "rigid".

I'd suggest the stem looks thick - I realize you went for a straight-line taper rather than a curve, but it presents to my eye as just a bit heavy. I also think the button is too big in both directions for the pipe. I'd put that button on a bent Giant, but not on a Group 3 billy.

Bowl cant - doesn't look like you did, and I think you get away with 90 degrees here because of the taper on the stem. But you get "stout" rather than "racy" or "suave" if you don't cant the bowl forward a little on these, and often they present as looking like the bowl is leaning back (or the stem bending up, that's the worst).

That's pushing in the direction of a really nice looking blast - particularly the front of the bowl. I have no tips for you, because (A) my methods are secret and (B) I don't have a clue how to blast any better than that.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
JMG

Post by JMG »

Nice proportions, Wayne. This pipe reminds me a lot of a Tinsky that I sold a while back. The pattern of the blast isn't my favorite, but that's not your fault. The taper on the stem looks nearly perfect. A no nonsense pipe...I like it man. Looks like a great smoker.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Sasquatch wrote:Wow, day 1 and Wayne's already got a pipe out. Grr!
In all fairness, I had most of the rough shaping done before today.

The bowl does cant about 2 or 3 degrees. I agree with your assessment of the stem shank transition. You can't see daylight but the edges look a bit "loose." I also agree that the stem is a bit thick. It's amazing what you see once you take pictures that didn't see before. Thanks for the input.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
JMG

Post by JMG »

wdteipen wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:Wow, day 1 and Wayne's already got a pipe out. Grr!
In all fairness, I had most of the rough shaping done before today.

The bowl does cant about 2 or 3 degrees. I agree with your assessment of the stem shank transition. You can't see daylight but the edges look a bit "loose." I also agree that the stem is a bit thick. It's amazing what you see once you take pictures that didn't see before. Thanks for the input.
I know it's a personal thing probably, but I like the stem being a little bit thicker on this one.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
ricebiscuit

Post by ricebiscuit »

Wayne, Nice pipe. I have really liked the last few billiards you have posted.

I also agree that the button is a little big and the stem is just a tad thick. But then again, I think that depends on what kind of look your going for. If its the stout look then I think you nailed it.

As far as the blast goes, I have been having the same problems. I will be working on a spot- lets say the size of a nickel- and I really have to work on it to bring the grain out. Then I move a 1/4 of an inch over and its like I'm blasting butter. I think the last three blasts I have been just as you described with the soft/hard wood. Maybe some of the pros can shed some light on blasting technique :whisper:

I also like the matte finish. It looks like a man pipe. If I had the money, I would buy it.

-Trey
Trey Rice

Trey Rice Pipes - www.treyricepipes.com
dano_kan

Post by dano_kan »

I've never blasted anything except a pair of pants one or two times.
I'm in agreement on the button being a bit too large. The finish is super nice though. Refreshing from seeing the glossed up sandy and rusticated pipes. Since you're not so happy with it, just send it to me and I'll "get rid of it" :D
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

Good pipe, and a good start to the year.
Greetings.
Felix
SWM

Post by SWM »

Hi Wayne,

very, very nice blast!!!

Best,

Steffen
„If you can dream it, you can do it." (Walt Disney)
hammer8

Post by hammer8 »

Beautiful job on the blast! Have to agree with what has already been said about the button. A little too large for me. I think you nailed the rest though. Looks great!
Don
Charl

Post by Charl »

My type of blast, Wayne!
Note to self: beg, steal or borrow to get blasting!